Aspiring Investor in Houston, Texas

9 Replies

Howdy! 

My name is Stephanie Money (yes my last name is really Money) and I am a soon to be graduate of Texas A&M with a degree in Business. I will be working in Houston post graduation and I am looking forward to starting my career and using my income to leverage my future success in real estate. I would like to purchase rental homes in college station to rent out to students, but I know there are so many other options. I have been listening to BP podcasts for a year now and I have been so eager to graduate and start working towards my real estate goals. Currently I am intrigued by the BRRRR method. I would love any advice for an up and coming real estate investor!

I’m happy to answer any specific questions as the come up. I used to do long term tenants, but recently switched to AirBnB. So far, so great! Many of our guests have come to B/CS for things other than football. This weekend is special olympics. Let me know if I can help. (Also a realtor!)

Stephanie 

Howdy! I agree College Station is a great place to start and I’m certain it will continue to be strong rental market. I have done a few deals in college station and encourage you to be looking now. Look for properties that are currently not leased and that have out of town owners. Try to locate owners that only have one property in BCS; if it is not leased then they might sell.  I love the South Gate area but those properties have continued to escalate in value and almost pricing them out of reach for investors. Also look for condos near Harvey. Good luck and let me know if you have any other specific questions. 

Howdy and welcome to BP!  If you are just starting out a duplex is a good way to start out. Live in one half and rent the other half. Let the second side pay your mortgage. I recently purchased a duplex in BCS from a grad student was house hacking. He still sold out after he graduated and made a nice profit. 

Originally posted by @Chris Quinn :

I’m happy to answer any specific questions as the come up. I used to do long term tenants, but recently switched to AirBnB. So far, so great! Many of our guests have come to B/CS for things other than football. This weekend is special olympics. Let me know if I can help. (Also a realtor!)

Great! Thank you Chris I will keep your contact information close and contact you when I am ready to start the process. I am hoping to start the process in a few months. 

Originally posted by @John Patterson :

Stephanie 

Howdy! I agree College Station is a great place to start and I’m certain it will continue to be strong rental market. I have done a few deals in college station and encourage you to be looking now. Look for properties that are currently not leased and that have out of town owners. Try to locate owners that only have one property in BCS; if it is not leased then they might sell.  I love the South Gate area but those properties have continued to escalate in value and almost pricing them out of reach for investors. Also look for condos near Harvey. Good luck and let me know if you have any other specific questions. 

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Hi Stephanie,

If you haven't already, I'd recommend checking out the Brazos Real Estate Investors Club (especially while you are still in CS): https://www.brazosreia.com

Good luck and congrats on getting an early start on investing!!

Annchen (Fighting Texas Aggie Class of '09 :-)

Don't invest in BCS over Houston right now. 40% of the rentals in the BCS area have been on the market for over 90 days. Not a good sign for an investor. I cold call a lot in both areas and the Houston market is so much better right now for both investors and homeowners.

What should I be looking for when considering which markets to invest in ? 

Originally posted by @Patrick Bain :

Don't invest in BCS over Houston right now. 40% of the rentals in the BCS area have been on the market for over 90 days. Not a good sign for an investor. I cold call a lot in both areas and the Houston market is so much better right now for both investors and homeowners.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you