New investor from Arlington, Virginia.

36 Replies

Originally posted by @Shamit S. :

My name is Shamit, live in Arlington, Virginia, and I've been lurking around the forums for past couple of years, listening to podcasts, reading books, attending local REIA meeting, and now finally getting my stars aligned to take my first plunge into real estate investing.

First of all, a great thank you to @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner for creating this great site and to all BP contributors for sharing your thoughts and opinions. A shout out to @David Greene and @J Scott whose books 'Long-Distance Real Estate Investing', 'Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat' and 'The Book on Estimating Rehab Cost' are the best real estate books I've read thus far.

My goal is to acquire enough properties to generate a stable income, sufficient to support myself and my family in about 10 years or so. For now, I have a stable job in the IT industry outside DC which I enjoy and is keeping me busy, so I'm not in need of immediate supplementary income. Primary focus is single family or small multifamily units for long term buy/hold and wealth accumulation.

I studied business and economics in college, so I have love for numbers, but can sometimes lead to over-analysis, indecision and analysis-paralysis. I'm trying to break free from the latter and got a good boost in motivation by attending Rod Khleif's boot-camp in Baltimore last weekend. Although large multifamily is out of my scope, as the boot-camp was held only an hour away from my place, I just could not pass on the opportunity to attend.

I'll likely be looking out of state for investment opportunities, at this preliminary stage I'm looking into North Carolina (Greensboro, Durham), South Carolina (Greenville, Spartanburg) and Alabama (Huntsville, Birmingham).

Hope to connect with fellow investors, both nearby where I live and in the areas where decide to invest.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard Shamit.

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Shamit S.:

My name is Shamit, live in Arlington, Virginia, and I've been lurking around the forums for past couple of years, listening to podcasts, reading books, attending local REIA meeting, and now finally getting my stars aligned to take my first plunge into real estate investing.

First of all, a great thank you to @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner for creating this great site and to all BP contributors for sharing your thoughts and opinions. A shout out to @David Greene and @J Scott whose books 'Long-Distance Real Estate Investing', 'Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat' and 'The Book on Estimating Rehab Cost' are the best real estate books I've read thus far.

My goal is to acquire enough properties to generate a stable income, sufficient to support myself and my family in about 10 years or so. For now, I have a stable job in the IT industry outside DC which I enjoy and is keeping me busy, so I'm not in need of immediate supplementary income. Primary focus is single family or small multifamily units for long term buy/hold and wealth accumulation.

I studied business and economics in college, so I have love for numbers, but can sometimes lead to over-analysis, indecision and analysis-paralysis. I'm trying to break free from the latter and got a good boost in motivation by attending Rod Khleif's boot-camp in Baltimore last weekend. Although large multifamily is out of my scope, as the boot-camp was held only an hour away from my place, I just could not pass on the opportunity to attend.

I'll likely be looking out of state for investment opportunities, at this preliminary stage I'm looking into North Carolina (Greensboro, Durham), South Carolina (Greenville, Spartanburg) and Alabama (Huntsville, Birmingham).

Hope to connect with fellow investors, both nearby where I live and in the areas where decide to invest.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard Shamit.

Hey @James Wise, thank you your note. Also thank you for your contributions here on BP, in particular the nice blog post about grading Birmingham, Alabama zip codes and neighborhoods, that was kind of you to write and share with us all.

Cheers!

Originally posted by @Shamit S. :
Originally posted by @James Wise:

Cheers!

Welcome aboard Shamit.

Hey @James Wise, thank you your note. Also thank you for your contributions here on BP, in particular the nice blog post about grading Birmingham, Alabama zip codes and neighborhoods, that was kind of you to write and share with us all.

Cheers!

No problem. I've also made one for Cleveland and am working on one for Memphis and Indianapolis.

Hello @Shamit S. !  Greetings from Central Alabama, to be more specific, Selma Alabama.  We have been successful with several buy and hold as well as a few flips here.  If I may be of assistance to you in this area please feel free to reach out.  Good luck to you in your investments.

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @James Wise:

Cheers!

Welcome aboard Shamit.

Cheers!

No problem. I've also made one for Cleveland and am working on one for Memphis and Indianapolis.

Great! Yes, I saw the Cleveland one. Looking forward to reading the next two, in particular the one for Indianapolis.

Cheers!

Originally posted by @Mark A Story :

Hello @Shamit S.!  Greetings from Central Alabama, to be more specific, Selma Alabama.  We have been successful with several buy and hold as well as a few flips here.  If I may be of assistance to you in this area please feel free to reach out.  Good luck to you in your investments.

Hi @Mark A Story, thank you for your note, much appreciated. How far out from Selma, Alabama/other nearby towns/cities do you invest in, in particular the buy and holds?

Cheers!

Hey @Shamit S. welcome to the BP forums and REI world!

I am located in Greenville, SC and would love to connect with you. I host a monthly meetup here via BP and a local investor Facebook group that I run.

I'm also an agent, most of my business is focused on working with investors. Let me know how I can help you get plugged in with the Upstate community! 

Originally posted by @Jonathan Anderson :

Hey @Shamit S. welcome to the BP forums and REI world!

I am located in Greenville, SC and would love to connect with you. I host a monthly meetup here via BP and a local investor Facebook group that I run.

I'm also an agent, most of my business is focused on working with investors. Let me know how I can help you get plugged in with the Upstate community! 

Hi @Jonathan Anderson, thank you for your note. I'll get in touch with you shortly.

Cheers! 

Welcome Shamit! Were also new to the investment game here in VA interested in buy and hold rentals and the BRRRR method! We have a great Real Estate Agent we worked with on our first purchase if you decide to look in the Hampton Roads area! So glad to "meet" another VA member!

Originally posted by @Preslie Hicks :

Welcome Shamit! Were also new to the investment game here in VA interested in buy and hold rentals and the BRRRR method! We have a great Real Estate Agent we worked with on our first purchase if you decide to look in the Hampton Roads area! So glad to "meet" another VA member!

Hi @Preslie Hicks, a belated thank you for your welcome note! Likewise, nice to "meet" you too!  I'm glad you found a good real estate agent in Hampton Roads area and wish you the very best with more properties in the coming years.

Cheers!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here