Newbie Starting Out !

4 Replies

Hi Everyone:) My name is Lewis and want to introduce myself. Wow I Love this site.

I signed up a few months ago and got so in to reading and learning that I Missed this step. I have been an Electrician in Local3 IBEW NYC for over 20 years. I am in the process of learning about investing and would love to connect and meet folks on here and perhaps add Value to people. My wife and I are currently house Hacking a Duplex in Jackson Hieghts Queens That I gut renovated Mostly myself. I am ready to Take action and the next steps. Thanks to all on here for your Help and wisdom.

Originally posted by @Lewis Schwartz :

Hi Everyone:) My name is Lewis and want to introduce myself. Wow I Love this site.

I signed up a few months ago and got so in to reading and learning that I Missed this step. I have been an Electrician in Local3 IBEW NYC for over 20 years. I am in the process of learning about investing and would love to connect and meet folks on here and perhaps add Value to people. My wife and I are currently house Hacking a Duplex in Jackson Hieghts Queens That I gut renovated Mostly myself. I am ready to Take action and the next steps. Thanks to all on here for your Help and wisdom.

Hey Lewis,

Welcome to the BP forums! 

House-hacking is the way to go, however, I think that disqualifies you from being a newbie haha... sounds like you've already gotten in the game by renovating it yourself.

My dad actually began investing by purchasing a fixer-upper in Jackson Heights in 1998 (78St., 32Ave.) and renovating it. He then used the equity to purchase another property AND retire. 

I'm sure you've been able to build some equity into the property as well since JH is such a hot neighborhood in Queens. That being said, if you're looking to continue to grow your portfolio, one of your next steps should be to connect with a lender. This way, you can find out what your financing options would be for another project. Once you have that in place, a Realtor should be able to point you in the right direction and help you devise a plan that works for you.

What were you thinking of doing next?

@Abel Curiel

Hi Abel,

Thanks for reaching out to me. Thats Too funny about your Dad being on 78th Street, its a great place to live. I grew up very close to JH so I know it well. Your Father was litterally my Nieghbor then. My mother Grew up on 89th street. The world is smaller than you can imagine. Id totally be cool with discussing my plans and further action with you. Please feel free to reach out further to discuss some Ideas that I have. And lets see if we are on the same page.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you