Where To Invest Fort Worth Area

10 Replies

Hello BP, 

My name is Cody and I'm a new real estate investor located in the Fort Worth area that already has a partner to help with the contractor/construction part of a rehab, we are looking to buy our first property and either flip it or BRRRR it. I'm in the midst of trying to find a couple good realtors and property managers, and I was looking for any suggestions in the Fort Worth Area?

I also am thinking about doing out of state investing in Oklahoma City after getting a couple properties and would love to get anyone's thoughts on the market and if Oklahoma City is a good market to do the BRRRR method in.

@Cody Brookes thanks for posting.  Always great to meet another fellow local here on Bigger Pockets.  The Texas forum is also the most active forum of any of the state forums that Bigger Pockets has as well.  Feel free to post there if you would like.

Now, you will likely get a LOT of differing answers to "what's the right place". And those places will depend on your exit strategy. So using the BRRRR method, you should be targeting properties $200k or less...since those will rent more effectively than properties over $200k. I would certainly recommend getting plugged in to some of the local Real Estate Investment groups that we have here locally. Here's the ones I would recommend:

Real Estate Groups

Several of these will have similar names but they are different. And these are the groups that I feel comfortable recommending. Several groups in DFW will try very hard to sell you things if you attend. Some are like $20,000. These are not that.

DFW REI Clubwww.dfwreiclub.com – meet about 50 times per year. Lots of different topics and a very friendly group.

DFW Mid Cities REIA - https://dfwmidcitiesreia.com/ - meets each month and is completely free. Usually free food and free drinks.

DFW REI Network Investing Meetup - https://www.meetup.com/DFW-REI-Network-Investing-Meetup/ - Started in Bigger Pockets this group meets once per month. Just straight information and super friendly atmosphere.

AREA Real Estate Investing Grouphttps://www.meetup.com/realestate-445/ - Meets once per month and is usually well attended

Hey @andrewpostell, thanks for the amazing response and I actually am going to a couple meet ups in the near future but will definitely be checking out some of the other groups you mentioned. And I'm looking forward to connecting with a local expert. 

@Cody Brookes Andrew has good advice. I would add to the list that you stay in neighborhoods you feel comfortable driving at night. 

Realtors are great at finding MLS deals for you. Most likely you are looking for off-market properties to flip or BRRRR. Get to know as many wholesalers as possible. But don't trust ANY of them. Do your own homework to confirm their numbers before purchasing. Be sure to get a hard money lender that is honest. I personally like Investmark Mortgage, Longhorn Investments and Capital Concepts. But you need to interview them and find the right one for you.

There are many great areas of Fort Worth to look at. Maybe choose something close to you. 

OKC is good, not as competitive as DFW and better for BRRRR because your $/sqft/rental rate is more favorable. As a realtor in Texas and an investor in both tell you to BRRRR first and flip after you have at least a couple under your belt. I have some properties in FL/OK/TX. I have new constructions, private sales, and foreclosures. KNow the tax ramifications around "one year and a day" and come to understand the 1% rule. Learn to act in an informed way you will be fine.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you