Introduction to the BiggerPockets family

12 Replies

Hello all,

My name is Giuseppe. I am introducing myself as a blank slate to real estate sales and investment. I am currently studying hard to acquire my real estate license in NY. I am originally from Queens, NY and recently moved west to NJ. Any advice for an extremely budding agent?

@Giuseppe Longo

Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you:http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

Hey Giuseppe! Welcome to BiggerPockets!

You have hit the JACKPOT of resources for real estate investors. You can literally find answers to all of your questions within the confines of this site. What’s the best way to get started using BiggerPockets?

1. Subscribe to the BiggerPockets Money and Rookie Podcasts

2. Attend the FREE WEBINARS

3. Attend a Meetup in Your Area

4. Purchase the Beginner Books: How to Invest in Real Estate, Set for Life, The House Hacking Strategy (shameless plug)

5. Peruse the forums! Ask questions! Answer Questions!

If you are consistent with learning real estate over the next 4-6 months, you’ll be ready to purchase your first (or next) property in NO TIME!

Best of luck,

Craig Curelop

Originally posted by @Giuseppe Longo :

Hello all,

My name is Giuseppe. I am introducing myself as a blank slate to real estate sales and investment. I am currently studying hard to acquire my real estate license in NY. I am originally from Queens, NY and recently moved west to NJ. Any advice for an extremely budding agent?

Hello Giuseppe and welcome to BP! 

I chose a similar route 4 years ago. Thankfully, I was able to quit my day job and get into RE full-time. 

As an agent, the main leads (or prospective clients) you want to focus on are the HOT leads (FSBO, expired, buyer leads) and the warm leads (personal circle/sphere of influence).

Focus on speaking to as many people within a specific time block each day and do it consistently. You'll build up a pipeline of folks to keep following up with who will eventually become buyer, seller, and/or investor clients.

As far as actionable advice for a new agent:

1. Make a list of EVERYONE in your personal circle! Friends, family members, co-workers (current and past), neighbors, and anyone else in your sphere of influence from social and spiritual gatherings.

2. Call, text, and email them to let them know you're in the business and you'd like to know 'Who do you know that is interested in buying, selling or investing in Real Estate'.

3. Follow up with your personal circle 4-8X per year.

4. Create new relationships and continue to build on the existing ones.

Now that you're transitioning to sales, I recommend calling warm/hot leads daily - FSBO, Expired, and buyer leads.

Fsbos can be found on Zillow

Expired on RedX and other platforms

Buyer leads can be found at: open houses; Zillow/Realtor,Trulia; Running targeted FB ads; OR partnering with a trusted lender to supply in-house leads or sponsor some of your online ad spend.

Book suggestions

I'd recommend:

EVERY BP book -https://www.biggerpockets.com/store

Millionaire Real Estate investor AND Millionaire Real Estate Agent by Gary Keller - very practical books. Gary helps everything make sense by reverse engineering the goal of $1M income and getting that goal chopped down to actionable and measurable steps.

The E-Myth by Michael Gerber- Highly recommended no matter what type of business you’re looking to begin - RE Investing, construction, development, property management, etc. 

My main takeaway, treat RE sales like a business, not a job. Anyone can open a door to show a house. Thats a job. Learn the business, take the necessary action each day to work ON the business as well as IN the business.

Best of luck to you moving forward!

Abel

@Abel Curiel

Thank you for all the advice! Ever since I started in Property Management and found out about real estate I’ve become so passionate that this is the course I want to take! Glad to see a fellow Queens NYer in the BP family!

Hello all,

Welcome to the BP family!!

Hello all,

Welcome aboard Giuseppe.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you