Famous Four Analysis (January 2013-2020)

Famous Four Analysis (January 2013-2020)

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes

Dear BP Community,

3 months and 1 RSI later (true story) I am happy to share with you the complete analysis of the Famous Four section of the first 365 Real Estate podcasts, which corresponds to the 7th anniversary of the show (January 2013-2020). The Powerpoint presentation is available on the Fileplace under the name "Famous four analysis (January 2013-2020)". (https://www.biggerpockets.com/files)I hope you will find the result as interesting and valuable as I did putting it together. No pretention to be a pro here, just a guy who likes BiggerPockets, the Community, and data.

Thanks to the BP leadership team to give me the green light to post it

If you have any comments or questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Enjoy!

Cedrick

85Reply
490 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

This is unbelievable and awesome. Thank you! For the convenience of others, here is a link that will take you directly to the file (you must at least have a free membership to access the fileplace):

https://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/CedrickM2/file/famous-four-analysis-january-2013-2020

See this reply in the discussion

124 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Nelson

    Here you go Kyle. Remember, you have 2 wishes left ;)

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @David Nacco, yes I think we removed a big headache to our close ones with this Xmas and Birthday wish list for years to come

  • Rental Property Investor · Salisbury, NC · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Lots of work!  Not many surprises but good to put it all together for us.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Rick Grubbs for your message an congrats on your real estate journey !

  • Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Hi @Cedrick Mahieux : Thanks so much for sharing, I am sure it took you a lot of time to do the complete analysis. This will be very valuable for every investor and especially new ones.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Raphaël C. Thanks for your message Raphael. Yes it took me 3 Mo every night to put all this together. the longest part was entering the data in a format suitable for the graphics. I am glad you find it as useful as I do. By the way, vous etes francais ?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    This is really cool, congrats on the hard work!

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Luke Stewart Thanks Luke for your message and taking the time to post it. I am glad you like it

  • Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Hi @Cedrick Mahieux: Thanks again for your hard work :). Yes, I am French and Spanish, what about you?


  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Raphaël C. French and American. Brandon was right in his guess during the podcast. Au plaisir et surtout n'hesitez pas a DM me si vous avez des questions

  • Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Cedrick Mahieux: Yes he was right, he just didn't pronounce your name correctly :D. Je n'hésiterai pas à vous contacter si j'ai la moindre question. Merci encore.

  • Investor · Potomac Maryland · Member since 2020 · 81 posts · 46 votes
    6y

    Thank you for sharing this !

  • New to Real Estate · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I started listening to BiggerPockets a few months ago and was wondering if there was a resource like this! BiggerPockets does it all!

  • Rental Property Investor · Cambridge, UK · Member since 2020 · 203 posts · 95 votes
    6y

    @Cedrick Mahieux this is awesome, thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Michael Barnhart Thanks Michael, especially from that far :). If I can help with anything, let me know

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Jacob Loyacano That is the power of this community!

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Thank you, @Cedrick Mahieux! This is fantastic and your efforts are greatly appreciated!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Deanna Wallace Thanks Deanna for your comment. Very nice of you to take the time to post such a message. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy reading

  • Investor · Providence & Philadelphia · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Cedrick Mahieux This is a great idea, thank you for putting in the effort to compile and analyze this valuable data. I found the results both interesting and useful. Now I have more reading material to catch up on 😃. Cheers!

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Gabriel L. Thanks for your message. Nice to read and I hope it will can help you to get a good start in your real estate journey. Best.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    Really appreciated you taking the energy and effort to compile all the podcasts into an very neat and viewer friendly presentation!  Was there something that came out of this that you never realized from before taking on this analysis project? Maybe it was something everyone repeated (one too many times) and you never realized the significance of it, or a interesting piece of data you observed from a person mentioning about it? I'd love to hear your personal take on this!

  • Rental Property Investor · Winona MN · Member since 2019 · 80 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    Amazing, thanks for sharing this! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Meredith Mihm Thanks Meredith for your message; You are welcome; good luck with the renovation of the Victorian house. I am sure it will be beautiful when complete

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Esther Min Hello Esther, thanks for your kind message and thanks for the question. Pretty interesting one. Several things I got out from it

    1) related to questions#1 & #2: What was striking to me was that Mindset is such a big component. We take that for granted that of course mindset is important but the fact that so many books related to having the right approach, were cited because they had such an impact on these successful investors, is worth highlighting. It was such a big component that I thought the foundation triangle(knowledge, hustle and money) is missing a big component and that is how I  came up with the idea Foundation Diamond as mentioned in one of the slides, where Mindset is one precondition to the other ones.

    2) Question#3: Maybe because it is my main priority as well and I am biased toward it but a lot of them take this luxury of time and freedom to spend quality time with their family; That was one of the recurrent theme across the interviews.

    Also I find they are philanthropists and I think it is refreshing; Once you are not struggling for yourself and are not anymore in "survival mode" asking yourself how you are going to pay the kids' tuition or your mortgage, going full steam in the "rat race" everyday without getting the head up, that is when you start looking after others more; When I say others, I mean beyond the family and a lot of them were involved in the community; It was not forced, but natural to give back; I read that once you reach the summit, you need to throw back the rope for the other ones climbing" and I think it applied there; we see so many crazy things in this world, it is good to see there is still some good in us.

    3) Their story and Question#4: The other take away is that there is no magic recipe for success and behind every success story, there is some good things and some bad ones such as struggles, fear, desperation, doubt, failures and the reality is not just as rosy as we could imagine for people who are financially free; Most have reached it to a price that not everybody is willing to pay. They all had to deal with adversity, from others (people from the family not believing in their vision) from the business, and also from themselves (self doubt, poor decision) and sometimes from the elements (I am sure people who were n the middle of flipping houses when COVID hit will back that up...); on the positive side, it shows there is not one path to success; The fact you have so many books cited as having an impact in their life and their journey, is a hint but it is also confirmed in their interviews. For newbies like us or people who haven't reached their ultimate goal in Real estate, that is great because it means you do not have to follow at the letter specifically what has been done and can trail your own path to success the way you feel it should be; Of course, you can rely and copy on what they have done (Brandon mentioned several times, it is ok to "cheat" and copy others in real estate) but it is more how you wan to use all these tools to build your masterpiece and reach your goals. Pretty neat

    Overall, I found their message inspiring, entering in the data table their answer one by one about the key to success and combining that in the word/sentence cloud was motivating; Having some clear goals, some real whys (I think having an objetive of reaching for instance $1Billion is not a clear goal; you get it and what ? are you happy?) is critical and give you the fuel to go after your dreams, have perseverance and don't accept No as an answer; easier to say than to do, but at least it painted a clearer picture for me so overall a great experience to go through it and another one to connect with so man people like you through the community by sharing the result. It also gives some guidance and motivation for every challenge in life, not related to real estate only.

    I am pretty sure you would have been happier with a shorter answer but I thought there were too many critical things to cover that it would have been a pity not covering them; 

    thanks for getting to this point and again for your question

    Feel free to connect if you want to discuss further

    Cheers

    Cedrick

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Cedrick Mahieux

    Thank you for the insightful response. I truly appreciated the answers to my questions! 
    Mindset, like you emphasized, is an critical factor to achieving goals whether it be REI or life. Curious to know, if there were specific books (like 10 X rule) that articulated the kind of mindset needed to achieve his or her goals, or if it was developed from consistent routine setting/actions, or from overcoming adversity, or all of them?

    Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.