• Real Estate Agent
  • Church Hill, MD
Votes |
New member from Maryland

Jan Whitney
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Church Hill, MD
Posted Apr 9 2013, 04:33

Hi everybody. My name is Jan Whitney and I live on the eastern shore of Maryland. I've been learning a lot from this great Bigger Pockets website ever since I found it while taking an online real estate investing course. I've read the awesome Ultimate Beginners Guide and have set up many keyword alerts. I'm in the process of reading J. Scott's book on flipping and rehabbing. Great stuff!

I have wanted to be in the real estate investing world forever it seems and decided to take the leap and learn as much as I possibly can and to eventually be financially independent through buying and holding rental property. I work full time from my home office.

My intention was to start by buying on the western shore a distressed property, doing a rehab and then selling it. My husband is a retired cabinetmaker and my son is a licensed contractor with his own painting business. We have many contacts in the construction business. From there to buy and hold for cash flow.

While looking for my fix and flip, I found two duplex properties that are great cash flow opportunities right here in my little town. I have them under contract but the termite inspection turned up infestation in both so I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. I don't want to knowingly saddle myself with two money pits at the start of my investing career.

I've taken J. Scott's advice and am pursuing my real estate license. It's all a great adventure and I'm looking forward to getting to know and continuing to learn from everybody here.

Jan

Loading replies...