Somebody talk me down

25 Replies

So I’m still pretty fresh to the landlord experience and I wonder if somebody might talk some sense into me.

Im having an issue with A duplex in the Sarasota area that is scheduled for rehab but came with inherited tenants.  The tenants that are scheduled to move out on the 30th of June just submitted a maintenance request stating one of their window A/C units seems to have died.

As I understand it, Florida law doesn’t require a landlord provide A/C, only heat (seems backwards for Fl).  I’ve told the tenant that I will not be replacing or fixing the unit since they are moving in a few weeks and I intend to install a mini-split system instead of new window units - Sol i would be throwing good money away (and possibly the replacement unit) upon rehab.

Now the human being in me is a compassionate person and wants to bend over backwards to accommodate every tenant request, the business owner is saying stay the course.  Can anybody provide some input or talk some sense To me on way or the other?

FL, in June needs an ac. Just unfortunate it goes out now, but for a couple hundred bucks you could repair/replace it with something functional for a few weeks.

Originally posted by @Charles Soper :

So I’m still pretty fresh to the landlord experience and I wonder if somebody might talk some sense into me.

Im having an issue with A duplex in the Sarasota area that is scheduled for rehab but came with inherited tenants.  The tenants that are scheduled to move out on the 30th of June just submitted a maintenance request stating one of their window A/C units seems to have died.

As I understand it, Florida law doesn’t require a landlord provide A/C, only heat (seems backwards for Fl).  I’ve told the tenant that I will not be replacing or fixing the unit since they are moving in a few weeks and I intend to install a mini-split system instead of new window units - Sol i would be throwing good money away (and possibly the replacement unit) upon rehab.

Now the human being in me is a compassionate person and wants to bend over backwards to accommodate every tenant request, the business owner is saying stay the course.  Can anybody provide some input or talk some sense To me on way or the other?

Why not buy one at Walmart then return it for store credit? Only costs $70 - $100

You are right FL does not require A/C

BUT it does require you keep items in working condition

To me I would feel obligated to get a new window A/C just because it is the right thing to do

I would never advise someone to purchase something from a store knowing they were going to just use it and return it 

Originally posted by @Elvis Vasquez :
Originally posted by @Charles Soper:

Why not buy one at Walmart then return it for store credit? Only costs $70 - $100

You are what is wrong with humanity 

Originally posted by @Michael Plante :
Originally posted by @Elvis Vasquez:
Originally posted by @Charles Soper:

You are what is wrong with humanity 

For $125, good karma and having it as a backup for any future issues.  I don't see how this is even a discussion.  Maybe I'm too nice, but I have had good experiences with my tenants in my four years and have been profitable on all my properties from the jump.

Thanks for the help all.  I guess I was thinking short term and hadn’t considered being able to keep it on hand for future emergencies.  So thanks @Christopher B. for that bit.

I was also thinking $500+ since My experience is generally “You get what you pay for.”  But for a short term fix and future emergencies under two hundred bucks isn’t so hard to swallow.

Thanks again

I have about 15 window units I bought at garage sales, usually off-season for $5 to $20.  Same with space heaters. We provide them gratis for folks and they appreciate it a lot.  

I'd get a cheapy new for this instance and keep my eye out at garage sales in the future.

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :

I have about 15 window units I bought at garage sales, usually off-season for $5 to $20.  Same with space heaters. We provide them gratis for folks and they appreciate it a lot.  

I'd get a cheapy new for this instance and keep my eye out at garage sales in the future.

I got this vision of you driving your painters van up and down the Columbia on Sat looking for garage sales.. and loading up your van.. like a mini hoarder  LOL..  Love it.  

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

I got this vision of you driving your painters van up and down the Columbia on Sat looking for garage sales.. and loading up your van.. like a mini hoarder  LOL..  Love it.  

Close..

It's a homeless construction painter plumber van. But check. You're right!   No a/c units today, but did pick up 2 decent pairs of downhill skis with nice bindings for $15 total for the boys.

I just have a similar issue with one of my rental properties.  

Best thing to do is pay a little more than a window unit and buy a portable A/C & Heating unit on wheels that you can roll around and put in your rentals temporality when A/C goes out that you can have an use for the next 20 yrs.

They're very high speed units nowadays.  You can get one at Lowes or Home Depot for about $500 to $600 that cools and heats about an 800 square foot space.  

I actually take mine to the beach to help cool a condo in summer with kids in and out, leaving the door open so I don't have to constantly yell like my grandfather use to do...

...WHAT AM I, AIRCONDITIONING THE WHOLE  "bleeping"  NEIGHBORHOOD?  SHUT THE DOOR, YOU'RE LETTING ALL THE A/C OUT!

Just wanted to add,  on top of being the decent thing to do....two weeks in Florida humidity is not good for your property,  either.

Once had a tenant in Houston (we rented our small house when we moved to a larger one so we could see how we liked being landlords).  He moved out early,  refused to obey the lease which said the a/c  wouldn't get above 82--he left without telling us,  turned off the A/C,  we were out of town. We checked it out as soon as we came home.  He had left a "**** you"  message.  (Alcoholic who was getting a divorce,  said we were being unreasonable by making him give 30 days notice to vacate. )  He had left a wet towel hanging on a rack.  In NINE DAYS in Houston August weather the towel had grown mold and was  literally connected to the wall,  and had spread  about three feet in every direction.  That dumbass tenant lost his entire deposit between that and not reporting a leak which ruined some carpet.  

I believe Florida is as humid as Houston.  Protect your assets.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

Close..

It's a homeless construction painter plumber van. But check. You're right!   No a/c units today, but did pick up 2 decent pairs of downhill skis with nice bindings for $15 total for the boys.

My hero.. you should write a book !!! 

Is the duplex going to be rented again?
If so, why not go ahead and put the new split unit in? If not and everything needs to be new, I would get a window unit off craigslist and then keep it for emergencies. Living in FL, I’m sure you will come across this again.

Thanks. Funny that you're also mine. As I work on another beater trying to stretch a few more miles out of it, I think of you and your repair and maintenance-free Teslas!

No book or podcast in my future. Plenty of hyper-anonymous nickel a day financial bloggers out there recommending credit card cattle travel hacks with creepy Ewok profile pics and no name already.

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

Close..

Thanks. Funny that you're also mine. As I work on another beater trying to stretch a few more miles out of it, I think of you and your repair and maintenance-free Teslas!

No book or podcast in my future. Plenty of hyper-anonymous nickel a day financial bloggers out there recommending credit card cattle travel hacks with creepy Ewok profile pics and no name.

I had the benefit of a grandfather who lived through the depression and instilled in me..  a few choice tenants when it came to personal finance..  

1. pay no interest

2. get out of debt soon as humanly possible.

3. if you cant pay cash don't buy it..

4. get your personal home paid for ASAP  ( that's been tough on the west coast.)

there are many tough decisions for folks today.. especially I see the student loan stuff.. I was able to put my kids through collage with out them taking on any debt.. ( one of my proudest achievements frankly)...

but they are both Ramsey disciples..  Of course my daughter is a comptroller for Intel..  and my son well he just got it naturally I guess.

I understand leverage and debt in real estate its needed.. but at some point folks need to get some paid off assets .. and establish hefty reserves to weather the ups and downs.. at least that's my thought process.. 

Close..

No book or podcast in my future. Plenty of hyper-anonymous nickel a day financial bloggers out there recommending credit card cattle travel hacks with creepy Ewok profile pics and no name.

I had the benefit of a grandfather who lived through the depression and instilled in me..  a few choice tenants when it came to personal finance..  

1. pay no interest

4. get your personal home paid for ASAP  ( that's been tough on the west coast.)

there are many tough decisions for folks today.. especially I see the student loan stuff.. I was able to put my kids through collage with out them taking on any debt.. ( one of my proudest achievements frankly)...

but they are both Ramsey disciples..  Of course my daughter is a comptroller for Intel..  and my son well he just got it naturally I guess.

I understand leverage and debt in real estate its needed.. but at some point folks need to get some paid off assets .. and establish hefty reserves to weather the ups and downs.. at least that's my thought process.. 

I knew it had to be more than the van and value hunting at yard sales:) I wish I had a grandfather like that. My folks were broke and scared to talk about anything financial.

I was inspecting a $90k cash sfr I am under contract to buy last week.  A build the deck party was going on. Someone had a Tesla X and it was dancing to the music- headlights and lambo doors flapping like a bird. I extolled some truth to the young whipper snapper. 'Son, you're doing it backwards. Spend the 90 to buy the rental. Use the $600 a month cf to pay for the Tesla. In 8 or 10 years you'll have both free and clear. Your way you will only own a $10k car.' 

He looked at me cross-eyed but at least I tried.

Close..

1. pay no interest

I knew it had to be more than the van and value hunting at yard sales:) I wish I had a grandfather like that. My folks were broke and scared to talk about anything financial.

I was inspecting a $90k cash sfr I am under contract to buy last week.  A build the deck party was going on. Someone had a Tesla X and it was dancing to the music- headlights and lambo doors flapping like a bird. I extolled some truth to the young whipper snapper. 'Son, you're doing it backwards. Spend the 90 to buy the rental. Use the $600 a month cf to pay for the Tesla. In 8 or 10 years you'll have both free and clear. Your way you will only own a $10k car.' 

He looked at me cross-eyed but at least I tried.

that is cool how they do that its called the easter egg.. I have not tried it on my wifes..

all in all though what I see in my business day to day.. is the younger investors are way a head of where my peer group was back in the late 70s early 80s when I was 30 ish.. although to be frank those that got into high tech In silicon Valley did the best of all of us..  

I've actually purchased a mobile A/C unit just for this purpose. fairly cheap, and in a pinch it can save you and your tenants some stress. It's about the size of a large dehumidifier and very easy to install. Check them out.

So as a follow up for everybody that helped out, I purchased a smaller LG portable unit from Home Depot Sunday morning.  I attempted to let the tenant know I would be by that same morning to drop it off, 1st via text, then phone and left a message.  I didn't get a response but since I was close and wasn't going to let this consume my day I dropped by the property.

Turns out the tenant solved their own problem and borrowed a unit from a friend.  After being left an irate message the previous day with the words "illegal" and "can't sleep" mixed in they figured it out.  Interesting how resourceful things we need can make us.  It was so unbearable to sleep in the unit that I woke them up at 11AM.

I think I was of this mindset before about if I threaten somebody they will jump, but now that I'm mature enough to step back and see problems differently I go about things without drama and heartache.  I'll be keeping the portable unit until they move out at the end of the month just in case.

Oh, and @Dana Baggett , thanks for the suggestion but to get a mini-split installed by my HVAC guy would have been almost two weeks....at which point they'll be just about out anyhow.

Thanks again everybody.