Permit process for Kentucky repairs- Gorge region

3 Replies

Hi Kentucky! I’m an investor in Colorado with a love for rock climbing which has brought me to the Kentucky market. Can anyone tell me about the inspection process for licensed work in Kentucky? Specifically:

HVAC installation and reconnecting gas service

Electrical inspection and connection of meter

What plumbing work might require a permit and inspection?

Thanks!

@Lauren H. call the local county permits/codes off for the county you would be working in. They will tell you what items need to be inspected/permitted. 

In Kentucky, all plumbing and HVAC related works are handled at the State level when it comes to permits and licenses. You can go online to http://dhbc.ky.gov/plb/Pages/default.aspx and study their info. Recent personal experience had me taking care of a permit for a water heater. The experience wasn't bad, but if you want to do it yourself as a homeowner it's kind of tedious. You can save money that way by pulling the permits yourself ($45 for a water heater), but your name has to be on the deed. In case not, you need to hire a licensed contractor that will charge you around $150.00 for just going to the house (that includes pulling the permit, their service call fee, plus labor)