Question about Westport and Carrollton communities in Baltimore

6 Replies

I have been approached about an investment opportunity on three townhouses in the Westport and Carrollton communities.  

I know that Baltimore can be tricky and from the google maps pictures, I'm not too inclined, but I thought I would check with those who might be knowledgeable about Baltimore investing.  Thanks. 

Well if you mean Carrollton Ridge then I would also steer clear of both, I consider them to be D class neighborhoods. Whenever I see anything directly on or around Fulton and Monroe Street I immediately move on. But that's just me and I'd love to hear from other people.

Thanks.  Yes, I did mean Carrollton Ridge.

id say @Eric Masi is right about it being a D class area but it all depends on your investment strategy. the area isn't great but if its about cash flow and the price is right then maybe. I own a property in carrollton and its can sometimes be a headache but it cash flows great and i got it dirt cheap so i consider it a great investment. just dont over improve it cause you wont get much on the resale 

id say @Eric Masi is right about it being a D class area but it all depends on your investment strategy. the area isn't great but if its about cash flow and the price is right then maybe. I own a property in carrollton and its can sometimes be a headache but it cash flows great and i got it dirt cheap so i consider it a great investment. just dont over improve it cause you wont get much on the resale 

Hello, @Paul Georgia

In my experience, Westport can be kinda tricky. As far as cash flow, i'm not 100% sure because I don't know what your numbers look like. As far as appreciation on your property, i'm not too confident about Westport. The City (along with Under Armour) has had "plans" to revitalize and put a lot of money into it but it never ends up happening. I still think there's a chance UA might come through (which could mean high property value appreciations) but I don't think it would be anytime soon. I personally wouldn't target Westport but im sure there are people who might.

-Eric

Thanks for the comments all. I initially thought the person who had the properties under contract wanted to wholesale them to me. It turns out, he wants to form a JV for me to help him wholesale them. He's an out-of-stater (as am I, but I live within a couple hours of Baltimore).

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.