Safer Areas in Buffalo, NY

7 Replies

Hello everyone.

I am interested in investing in buy and holds long distance in Buffalo, NY because my daughter may go to college in this city.  I live in CA.  I am looking at a duplex right now in this area (circled in red below).  Can I get any information if this area is a safe area or not?  Or would I have to qworry about vandalism here.  Of course, I know there are risks wherever you buy, but just curious about this particular area.  Thank you.

~Kathy in CA

Kathy Argento, Lender in CA (#357025)

Hi, 

Welcome to Buffalo Real Estate. Even though that area you circled is relatively small, the quality of homes and neighborhood vary significantly there. That area is on the boarder of Cheektowaga (First ring, OK suburb) and the East Side of the City of Buffalo (high crime, low property values). That area can have streets that cater to college students closer to Sloan and also very poor and dangerous streets closer to route 62, Bailey Avenue. I would not live or buy there. 

Just out of curiosity, who are you working with from Buffalo? Or are you researching on your own. I hope this helps!

Welcome @Kathy Argento

I work as a property manager in the area. I echo Michael's previous comments. We do not invest in those areas and we do not recommend our investors to properties in those areas. If you are looking for more detail shoot me a message and I can help you out. 

Mike

(716)243-2671
candmrentalpm@gmail.com
Originally posted by @Kathy Argento :

Hello everyone.

I am interested in investing in buy and holds long distance in Buffalo, NY because my daughter may go to college in this city.  I live in CA.  I am looking at a duplex right now in this area (circled in red below).  Can I get any information if this area is a safe area or not?  Or would I have to qworry about vandalism here.  Of course, I know there are risks wherever you buy, but just curious about this particular area.  Thank you.

~Kathy in CA

Hello Kathy,

I completed my undergrad degree at D'youville College in Buffalo. I will the best areas were primarily around the schools like buffalo state, University of Buffalo, D'youville college and etc. The west side is pretty safe. Anywhere near the Canadian border. I hope this provides some assistance.

@Gregory

This is very helpful info.  Thank you.  My daughter may attend Canisius College.  Not sure yet though...

Kathy Argento, Lender in CA (#357025)

I agree with both Michael's on this. It's probably not the best area to invest in without worrying about vandalism and so on. 

I would agree with posts above.  If you move farther into Sloan, its hit and miss, probably a little farther then you would want to be from Canisius though.  

Would you be buying property for your daughter to reside in while at school if she decides to go?  What would happen after she graduated, still hold?

I ask bc there is a small pocket neighborhood much closer to the school and has much more potential than where you have identified in my opinion.  It is still undervalued and has private capital investments surrounding it this last year (>$150 M), better access to public transit, parks, border more desirable neighborhoods and I believe to be safer but do not have the stats in front of me to confirm.  We are targeting it ourselves and know there are cash-flowing investments with strong potential for appreciation to boot, definitely in the path of progress.

The market here, especially downtown and select neighborhoods, has seen strong growth over the last 3 years and I would say has another 3 years to grow.  The housing stock is old and seems to keep some out of town investors out of the market.  But we love the housing stock and architectural details that come with it, with the right care/attention they make solid investments...they certainly do not build them like they use to.

The area you highlighted is really block by block and has also been changing demographically in recent years (less desirable lower income in my opinion).  I am not familiar with it enough to know well enough of the top of my head besides the village of Sloan where I have some family.  May not be a great choice to house her there nor make a great investment for an out-of-towner without local knowledge/experience.

If she decides to attend here shoot me a PM and I can give you more of my opinion for what it is worth...  $.02 maybe?  or hook her up with one of our rentals....if she qualifies ha

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.