Do I have to continue a lease month-to-month?

Do I have to continue a lease month-to-month?

Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2021 · 54 posts · 27 votes

Can I stop renting to tenants after the 1 year lease is up, or do I have to let it convert to a month-to-month until they choose to move out? 

-Current lease 9/1/20 - 8/31/21
-Converts to month-to-month after that per the lease agreement
-I'm increasing rents 11/1 (can't do it before that because 90 days notice is required.) They told me they plan to move out by 11/1 to avoid the higher rent
-But I'd rather get it rented in September at a higher rate
-OS Bar says "If your tenant has lived in the dwelling for more than a year, you cannot terminate the tenancy for no cause unless you have a “qualifying landlord reason.”" (I don't per their definition)

I'm not sure if I can find a new renter when the lease ends or if I have to let the tenants continue on the month-to-month lease until they choose to leave.

(I hearby hold harmless any recommendations and realize that nothing said here should be taken as legal advice)

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
5y

Are you planning of leaving it a rental?  I would tell them in a written letter that rent in that area for a house of same size, beds and baths. Are now going for $1500 a month and I am aware that your now on lease that ends at $1300 a month.

I would like to know if I leave you in there and your willing to re write a new lease for a year.  I would like to go only to the $1400 a month rent.

Let me know your thoughts and decisions.

Thanks.

I would do this.  A good tenant is not worth making an addition $1200-$2400 a year,  If it takes a month to paint, clean and get a new tenant you just lost $1300.   Its more you decision then theirs but you are not required to allow them to stay or leave.  It becomes a month to month at end of lease.  Your month to month can be at $1500.

All of this is example since I have no idea what the rent is or the market in your area!

Good luck

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    5y

    Are you planning of leaving it a rental?  I would tell them in a written letter that rent in that area for a house of same size, beds and baths. Are now going for $1500 a month and I am aware that your now on lease that ends at $1300 a month.

    I would like to know if I leave you in there and your willing to re write a new lease for a year.  I would like to go only to the $1400 a month rent.

    Let me know your thoughts and decisions.

    Thanks.

    I would do this.  A good tenant is not worth making an addition $1200-$2400 a year,  If it takes a month to paint, clean and get a new tenant you just lost $1300.   Its more you decision then theirs but you are not required to allow them to stay or leave.  It becomes a month to month at end of lease.  Your month to month can be at $1500.

    All of this is example since I have no idea what the rent is or the market in your area!

    Good luck

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2021 · 54 posts · 27 votes
    5y

    @David Avery thanks! I will likely wait until they choose to leave, hopefully at the end of their 1 year lease or at the latest 2 months into their month-to-month. OR law says I can only increase from $1700/mo to $1850 (about 9%) if I end the lease. If they leave voluntarily, I can rent it at market, around $2,000 - $2,100. Because the tenant broke up with her boyfriend mid-lease, then found a new roommate, it's been at this price a year and a half, though this lease itself is only a year old. It's gotten to be well under market. But OR doesn't let you end a lease and raise it to market for the next tenant unless the existing tenant leaves on their own.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    5y

    Sorry, stupid laws in your state.

    But my wife is from your neighbor  state  WA  !!!

    My son has 4 nice homes for rent.  3 in Utah and 1 in Florida.

    He is going for like 10 and should create a pretty good cash flow and equity ( net worth).

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    5y

    Hey need some votes , man

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.