Laminate or allure vinyl flooring

9 Replies

So guys I am looking for opinions about this topic. I am trying to determine what is the best options for a property with  tenants/with pets and small kids. My concerns are around quality, durability and resale value. I have heard great things about the allure flooring,but I have also that it does scratch with pets and resale value is less. While the Laminate is highly scratch resistant and water resistant with good resale value it does have an issue with spills being left on the surface for a period of time.

Updated 30 days ago

Can anyone speak about the resale aspect. Also what are the average rents that you are collecting in the places the you are choosing to use vinyl plank.

I put vinyl in all my places. You can put a scratch clause in your lease. 

Steven, what is your average renter paying?

My favorite flooring is Lifeproof sold at Home Depot. It's wide plank/modern and its vinyl so it should be water proof. It's really quick to install. I haven't had it long enough know how scratch resistant it is but I've gotten so many complements on the floor & people always telling me how nice it is. I like the sterling oak color which goes really beautifully with light grey paint.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifeProof-Sterling-Oak-8-7-in-x-47-6-in-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-20-06-sq-ft-case-I966106L/300699284

Originally posted by @Tony Karns :

So guys I am looking for opinions about this topic. I am trying to determine what is the best options for a property with  tenants/with pets and small kids. My concerns are around quality, durability and resale value. I have heard great things about the allure flooring,but I have also that it does scratch with pets and resale value is less. While the Laminate is highly scratch resistant and water resistant with good resale value it does have an issue with spills being left on the surface for a period of time.

Vinyl allure is a much better product. We go allure over laminate every time.

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633

I'd be concerned with the vinyl floor for tenants too because when (not if) the floor gets scratched, there is not an easy way to fix it. Laminate, as long as it's not the super cheap variety, will wear much better.  If it were me and I was planning to keep the rental for a while, I'd prefer hardwood or ceramic tile but labor will be more costly on those options

Vinyl plank flooring for the look and durability.

I choose Allure vinyl planks because they are waterproof unlike laminate and are easy to install. I assume you are referring to the ones HD sells with the adhesive tabs that overlay the tab on the other plank. I find, when installed with care, these create a good liquid barrier and will contour to a floor that might have some undulations in it from settling or the like. The subfloor still has to be smooth though, or you will see small bumps/divots. Laminte and the Lifeproof brand mentioned above are more forgiving with the subfloor condition because they are a stiff plank.

The flexibilty and it being water proof are the main advantage over laminate floors, in my opinion. I think the Allure line is just as scratch resistant, but other vinyl plank products may not be. I have a tenant with a 40lb dog and the floors are not scratched at all. Gravel/sand however will scratch it, so make sure you or they provide a decent mat outside the front door to wipe shoes on.  Cost is another factor, you can get laminate flooring for much less than the vinyl planks so it depends on your situation. 

It may seem confusing but its nice to have these options vs. 15 years ago.

Good luck

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.