Dallas/Fort Worth: Up & Coming VS No way Jose

Dallas/Fort Worth: Up & Coming VS No way Jose

Daniel MendezPro Member
Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 254 posts · 47 votes

Good evening members,

As many of you have seen, the DFW market area is booming with new construction which is causing a lot of old "stay away" neighborhoods to be gentrified.

A lot of these suburbs are becoming very popular for both the young and old generations.

That being said, I wanted to ask for those of you who wholesale or invest in the DFW market what suburbs/zip codes are you guys considering now that you didn't consider before AND which are some places that you are still a "NO WAY JOSE" mentality.

The reason why I am asking this is that I am starting to learn more about the DFW market (I am not from here). Learning this market would then assist me in finding off-market properties for my investors. 

Thanks in advance!

2Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew PostellPro Member
Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

@Daniel Mendez just about any neighborhood valued at $175k or under are good investment neighborhood and rent at a good clip in Dallas and Fort Worth.  However, there have been some recent changes to some neighborhoods in East/Southeast Dallas that might change most investors view towards them specifically.  @Kyle Mccaw might be able to speak to this better.  But other than those neighborhoods specifically, everything else is great at that price range and under.  

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Daniel Mendez just about any neighborhood valued at $175k or under are good investment neighborhood and rent at a good clip in Dallas and Fort Worth.  However, there have been some recent changes to some neighborhoods in East/Southeast Dallas that might change most investors view towards them specifically.  @Kyle Mccaw might be able to speak to this better.  But other than those neighborhoods specifically, everything else is great at that price range and under.  

  • Member since 2018 · 158 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Postell 175 for SFH? Multi family?

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    I am eagerly waiting for the gentrification of 75217 - Down town area. Its been hard to get a long term consistent tenant in this area. I am open for regular or section 8 renters. In the last 3 months, I have had to return security deposits to 2 renters who no longer wanted to be in the  house because of frequent break-ins in the neighborhood. I am an OOS investor and my SF house in this area has needing a lot of time and $$ 

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Nothing is ever "no way jose" (not sure if there's any national origin implication in your phrase) it all depends on your investment criteria, your cash return vs. dealing with tenants. Everything is relative and no one can predict your needs.

    That said, I really like Garland as a blue collar, but rent appreciating city.

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Austin Bright $175k would apply to any property 1-4 unit. 

    @Daniel Mendez that 75217 zip code was one of the areas I was referring to in my previous post.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Mendez I would recommend looking into more of the Dallas Mid Cities area(Irving, Euless, Bedford, Hurst, Arlington, and Grand Prairie), these properties are slowly appreciating but are still cheap enough to where if you get a good deal you will easily hit the 1% rule on rent. 

  • Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 368 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Mendez I tend to focus on outlying markets, they have cheaper land cost and better zoning regulations for building high density affordable housing. 

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Daniel Mendez

    I’m grabbing older beat up homes in Arlington, Grand Prairie and ft worth. Tons of rehabs going on which is improving these hoods immensely. I’m ok buying old 1950’s homes for under 140k and renting them out for 1400-1600/month. That’s my sweet spot. Huge demand for rentals under 1600/month. Over that amount and the demand falls off. I need to get at least 1% of the purchase price in rent in decent areas that are close to the downtowns or mid city areas.

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 706 posts · 611 votes
    6y

    If you're looking for something cheap with great tax benefits. Check out the 7 empowerment zones in Dallas. I know Red Bird & West Dallas are apart of the empowerment zone opportunity tax zones. There's 5 other but if you google Dallas empowerment zones they will all come up.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.