• Handyman
  • Bellingham, WA
Votes |
Washington State Managing Brokers License Reqs

Clayton Swansen
  • Handyman
  • Bellingham, WA
Posted Aug 12 2017, 22:47

Hi BP! I've found myself in yet another quandary that can only be solved by you gallant and intrepid investors in real estate. I've got a Washington State specific question that I just can't seem to find an answer for, and I'm hoping I might gleen an answer from the wealth of knowledge held in the razor sharp minds of this fine community... 

I am interested in starting a small property management firm, and I came across the fact that I must have a Managing Broker's License to do so. One of the requirements is that one must have three years of experience working full-time as an agent, and/or relevant training before he/she is eligible for the MBL. I do not have this experience. However, I spent many years in the military, and it just so happens that there is a caveat stating that military experience may suffice in lieu of this requirement...

"18.85.490 Military training or experience. An appli- cant with military training or experience satisfies the training or experience requirements of this chapter unless the director determines that the military training or experience is not sub- stantially equivalent to the standards of this state. [2011 c 351 § 6.]"

However, there is an issue of timeframe here, because in the MBL requirements it states that: 

"(c) Has had a minimum of three years of licensed experience as a fulltime real estate broker in this state or in another jurisdiction having comparable requirements within the five years previous to applying for the managing broker's license examination or is otherwise qualified by reason of practical experience in a business allied with or related to real estate as prescribed by rule;" 

SO, now for the big pay off, my friends who have held on this long... my question is (drum roll, please) must military service have been within the last five years in order to satisfy this requirement? And for that matter, is it only specific types of military service -perhaps pertaining somehow to real estate or land aquisition- that are acceptable?

Thank you kindly, BP'ers!!

Loading replies...