Direct Mail Marketing

8 Replies

Hello BP!!

I've been actively pursuing different strategies to try and acquire off market deals.

One I haven't tried yet is direct mailing. Anyone here had success or positive feedback from this tactic?

What content should be included in the letter to get the best results?

Thank you!!

Direct mail is a quick way to go broke in Southern California. No longer innovative its a tactic used by everyone. Highly concentrated letters to specific properties could work but the mass marketing style of attack has come and gone in regards to its usefulness. 

I would definitely say it depends on your area.  I have a lot of success with it, but I also live in a area with much less people.  You'll never know what it'll be like in your area until you try it.  Check out Michael Quarrels and Jerry Puckett.  They have a lot of great material on DM.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Lalita Patipaksiri:

Hello BP!!

I've been actively pursuing different strategies to try and acquire off market deals.

One I haven't tried yet is direct mailing. Anyone here had success or positive feedback from this tactic?

What content should be included in the letter to get the best results?

Thank you!!

Hello Lalita, god to meet you...

DM works very well  however make certain you have a strong follow up and capture system. And remember DM is only one of several methods for finding quality leads. The reason I like it so much is because I can hit specific targets where other marketing types tends to be more of a broader however much less filter capable... Example PPC leads are great however most dont qualify to sell to me although highly motivated. 

Our job is to find the person who needs to sell and is willing to discount in exchange for our cash. 

Top Three leads solutions IMHO

1. Direct Mail
    1. Equity Owners
    2. 65 Year and Older
    3. Out of State Absentee
    4. Non-marketed List
      1. This is a list of folks that do not have a length of ownership record that is filtering. (Prime list however somewhat expensive)
  2. Webforms
    1. PPC - I like google
    2. Facebook
    3. YouTube
    4. SEO
  3. Center of Influence
    1. Remember the 6 degrees of separation concept.

@Lalita Patipaksiri Direct mail has been really effective for a lot of people. I think that some of the pessimism comes from everyone mailing to the same list. In some areas, the absentee owners might be getting offers to buy their property practically every week!

You can work with a list broker who can suggest some alternative markets such as Seniors with Long-time Ownership or Homeowners with Low Financial Stability Scores. These can be customized for your price range etc.

You also want to send out something that speaks to your audience to make your offer stand out if they happen to get more than one. Give some advantages of working with you rather than simply CASH FAST that is the emphasis of a lot of investor mail.

Here's an article that talks about some effective benefit-driven letter techniques that can be good for motivated owner-occupied sellers:

Effective benefit-driven letters for seniors and other owner occupied seller campaigns

@Lalita Patipaksiri Direct Mailing is a great way to get started when done correctly.  You may want to start by selecting the demographic that you would like to target (I'm a big fan of absentee owners) then figure out the area that you'd like to target, you can do so by partnering with Realtors or other investors to see which areas are most desirable in the eyes of your end user. Lastly you should put a solid system in place like something shown in the Joe McCall mind map (you can find it with a google search) and be consistent, keep plugging away until you get some deals done, this can be a few weeks after you begin the mailings or a few months, neither result is uncommon.

Hi Lalita

We use direct mailing as our main source of leads, we mail yellow letters every four weeks and change the message every time. We are receiving calls from letters we sent over two years ago. Make sure you are consistent mailing, the response rate gets better later on on your campaign.