• Rental Property Investor
  • San Mateo California
Votes |
Everything I've learned about Opportunity Zones

Jonathan Hoyt
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Mateo California
Posted Aug 29 2018, 13:30

I'm learning everything I can about the Opportunity Zone program introduced in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and thought I would share what I've been learning, the links I'm using on a daily basis, forum posts that have been helpful, and what I'm hoping to do next.

First, if you don't know know about Opportunity Zones and want to get up to speed quickly check out these links:

OZ summary:

• Opportunity Zones were introduced in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
  • Incentivizes investment in economically distressed communities
  • Deferred capital gains, reduction in capital gains tax realized for 5-7 year investments, and no capital gains taxes on gains from investments in Opportunity Zones for 10 year holds
  • Opportunity Zone Funds can invest in operating businesses, equipment, and real property

Now you're probably wondering where these Opportunity Zones are:

Next you'll want to understand more about the tax benefits:

For real estate investing you'll want to understand the big gotchya:

Ok, so you're still interested and want to take advantage of Opportunity Zones! That's great, BUT we're still waiting on guidance from the Treasury/IRS:

Next I'm hoping to start connecting with commercial brokers, CPA's, and Real Estate Lawyers that are interested in becoming Opportunity Zone experts.

I would love to see a dedicated Opportunity Zone forum on BiggerPockets, anyone else interested in having more detailed conversations? How might Opportunity Zones fit into your business plans and investing strategies? If you have other links please add them to this post! Thank you for your time.

Loading replies...