What to do with acreage property...?

14 Replies

Hey all, not sure if this is the right forum for this scenario but it was the closest fit I could find. :)

I'm looking for ideas, suggestions, etc for what to do with some acreage property we own (about 8 acres) just outside Portland (Oregon). We recently logged the property, and now we're trying to figure out what to do next with it. It's farm use zoning, so needs to be a crop or animals or something along those lines. Soil and slope are great for wine grapes, but from other conversations we've had, we've been told it's not worth the huge investment for grapes unless you're doing the whole winery thing and producing your own label, etc. Essentially, we're not farmers and have no desire to spend all day in the field. But, we have good usable land that we want to put to use in a way that makes sense and at least has some profit potential. We've talked about partnering with someone since we can provide the high-value land, but not really sure where to start down that road. At this point pretty much open to ideas so let's hear it! :)

Originally posted by @Sharon Beatty :

@Ben Nelson. So this needs to be farmland of some sort? You can't build housing?

Right, it's agricultural/farmland zoning so it can't be developed. Otherwise that's the obvious answer if I could. ;) 

Promotion
Avail
Landlording made easy.
Best-in-Class Platform for DIY Landlords
List unlimited units, screen tenants, draft and sign leases, and collect rent—all free.
Use Avail—Free!

I don’t know if the area is right or not, but I have heard of some investors doing glamping, portable tiny house, or renovated airstream for rental. Just trying to throw a non traditional idea out there.

Missed it, yeah 8 acres is small for a functional vineyard without something else supplementing it. Lot of work for not a lot of grapes, too.

The Air BnB/glamming is a good idea and you can still maintain Ag status by doing some other stuff on the property. 8ac almost seems silly small to be irreversibly zoned as AG, I’d look seriously into getting rezoned.

Ben, being from Newberg you might want to get in touch with 12th & Maple Wine Company down in Dundee. (Link below to website).

They are wine processors, as in the industrial side of wine making and a big player in the state.  The larger holding corp owns vineyards all over Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. They process grapes into wine for many many "Winery's" (people who have their own label and vineyards, but not processing facilities) in the state so they are very connected.  They may have zero interest in the land themselves but may be able to give you better referrals to people or other businesses that might be interested, even if it is outside of the wine industry.  Just a thought.  

I think telling people the general region your farmland is located might help with suggestions. There are developers (locals) that pick up land near the growth boundary's and hold on to it for years, but I don't know if you are close or not.

Website link to 12th & Maple Wine Company
http://www.12mwc.com/contact

Yeah unfortunately I don't think re-zoning is an option. we're only about 8 minutes to town, but too far away from growth for anything other than an ag zoning. I do like the idea of the "glamping" or something like that. I'm not sure what restrictions there are around that with the zoning, I'll have to look into that.

I am looking into potentially partnering on someone for wine grapes, but not really sure where to start with that. It's the ideal use for the property I think, but it's a small amount of grapes on only 8 acres or so.

Originally posted by @Ben Nelson :

Yeah unfortunately I don't think re-zoning is an option. we're only about 8 minutes to town, but too far away from growth for anything other than an ag zoning. I do like the idea of the "glamping" or something like that. I'm not sure what restrictions there are around that with the zoning, I'll have to look into that.

I am looking into potentially partnering on someone for wine grapes, but not really sure where to start with that. It's the ideal use for the property I think, but it's a small amount of grapes on only 8 acres or so.

Pretty far out of my territory here in the southwest to help on the actual growing side, but if you ever need someone to run things past to poke holes/lend ideas, I'm here!

Promotion
PropStream
Web + D4D Mobile App for you & the team!
Trusted Provider of Real Estate Data, Marketing, Skip Tracing & A
#1 Real Estate Software for Investors, Agents & Brokers to find leads and close deals nationwide.
7 Day Free Trial!

I like the glamping idea in conjunction with a pumpkin patch, hay bale rides, haunted maze, or whatever you want to do with it. I know it's a seasonal thing but those places make enough in a few months to cover for the whole year. It sounds like you're close enough to town that if you get a social media following you can attract a lot of people. Good luck!

You could also do coop farming.  Allow people in town to lease a section of ground and grow their own crops-flowers.  Almost like local gardens.  $100/yr for a 10x10 section (do the math).Have a farmers market on the weekends.  Bring in food trucks and outdoor movies.  Make it a local event for families.  People will start venturing out.  You can get a USDA zoning for a commercial building (kitchen).  Process fruit into jams, pies, make salsas.  Pumpkin patch is a great idea.  Get bigger every year.  Grow hops or a specialty varietal and have a tasting room for those that use that hop or varietal.  Covered area for foodcart tap house.  Contact your local 4-H (county) or FFA (Highschool)and offer land/corral for kids in town to raise animals for the fair that don't have the facility in town.  Tax write off and keep the zoning.  Can also use as a petting zoo.  Good luck!