Why do you invest in real estate?

10 Replies

I was reading something on BP about WHY you invest in real estate. I can't remember the source buying pretty sure it was something said or written by Brandon Turner.

We aren't in the game yet but we are about to start house hunting. Here's why...

My hubby works as a college professor. I'm a homeschooling mom and I own my own small business which helps with the bills. However money is tight.

During the fall and spring semesters my hubby works overload (teaches extra classes) so we have money to enjoy life a bit. The problem is, he is so dang busy and tired during the school year that we barely have time with him and don't really get to enjoy life! He works and sleeps. Then on weekends he often has to do grading at home.

I want to make enough money in real estate so that my hubby won't have to work overload any more. Beyond that is cake!

Why do you invest in real estate?

Great question @Edith TenBroek  ! And yeah, I probably said that... I talk a lot ;) 

I invest heavily now because I want to see my kids grow up, first hand. I don't even have kids yet, but I know I will and I want to be there for their first word, first step, first crush, first battle of the bands (they'll win, of course), first heartbreak, etc. I think real estate is the most assured way of making that happen. 

I also teach at college and university. I can suggest for your hubby that he can start to teach online and able to spend more time with family.

So I can do the things I want to do, not have to do.

Hope that helps! :)

@Syed Firoz

he teaches one class a semester online, but he says he prefers the face to face. He truly enjoys his profession, but last semester he had 24 ECH and it was killer. He won't do that much again. I also teach online classes at the community college! Only one or two classes a semester, but it helps with the bills. Working from home is the only way to go! What do you teach Syed? I'm a Psych adjunct, and my hubby is a computer science prof.

@Brandon Turner

Awesome reason! DH wants to be there MORE than he is now. We get spoiled during the summer. He takes off completely and we play a lot. Then the transition back to the daily grind in the fall is hard. Do you or your wife also have a day job? How do you handle insurance etc.?

@Rachel H. That is definitely the plan! I want freedom!

Why do I invest?  After two engineering degrees and 16 or so years in Dilbert-world, I finally realized that it wasn't for me.  I really like the flexibility that being an investor provides (and being self-employed).

Have to invest in something if you going to get anywhere. Haven't found anything else legal or ethical that provides the results I am looking for.

I'm a full-time landlord/painter. I should be able to comfortably drop the painting jobs in the next 2-3 years. I love the flexibility of being self-employed and the idea of amassing millions in equity over the next 2-3 decades drives me to keep moving forward!

I love evicting people, its the best

@Edith TenBroek  thanks for the great question!

1. Self determination.

2. Family time.  I make my schedule and I schedule my priorities.

3. Exponential growth of my personal net worth/income based on my strategic decisions.

4. Intrinsic reward of taking properties nobody wants and making them into something anyone would want.

5. The opportunity to set people up for success.

Just to name a few ...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.