Joint Venture

3 Replies

I have a couple of small deals under my belt and have a friend, that I've known for years, that has approximately $40K to $50K he wants to invest. He is afraid of the stock market and wants to invest in real estate with me.

This is obviously good for me but not having a lot of experience, it is also scary. My thought is to joint venture on a 50/50 basis with him supplying the money and me the work. We both want to eventually have a business that supplies passive income but start out by wholesaling to build up the funds to go into rehabbing and then land lording. However it may be better to acquire property via creative financing and then do a lease option strategy using his money for marketing.

I really want to be conservative here to protect his investment. Any suggestions?

small fix and flip deals.   He provides the money you provide the knowledge and work.  Make sure you are deal with properties that have enough of a spread where both of you are happy.    

its like having access to your own private bank without qualifying.   I look forward to having this type of backing in the near future.  

I agree, ramp up marketing, cherry pick a deal and rehab/flip it. Find a GC that has worked with investors and manage the project. IMO. In my area your friend's capital wouldn't cover everything and without a track record you probably settle for hard money help. The upside of that is you get an experienced opinion on your deal.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Russell Ponce:

In my area your friend's capital wouldn't cover everything and without a track record you probably settle for hard money help. The upside of that is you get an experienced opinion on your deal.

Good luck!

My thought exactly.  The $40K - $50K of liquid assets is a good base to qualify for the best terms for hard money.  If you do hard money you need to be RELIGIOUS about your commitment to a 90 day turnaround (purchase to sale).  Hard money wipes out all your profit if you end up holding a house months longer than you planned.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.