What are YOUR fears?

36 Replies

Hi all –

I'm going to start posting here pretty frequently and start a member blog here on BiggerPockets and I want to know what you want to know about starting or growign your business.

What is it that scares you?  It doesn't matter if you don't have a business yet and are paralyzed or if you are already killing it and don't know where to go next.  

Go ahead and list your fears here.  If you don't think you have any, then list your desires because, if you desire something that you don't have, then the only thing holding you back is your fear.

I'm really looking forward to building out a good list and even more excited to helping many of you through any difficulties that you may have.

Happy investing,

Joe

Very interesting concept. 

My fears have diminished greatly over the years.  This is especially true when it comes to business.

I do agree that fear is the primary factor holding us back.  I also feel that we can be content enough that we do not charge ahead recklessly in order to try to obtain all of our desires.

My biggest fear is losing money on a bad investment.  

My next biggest fear is having to evict a tenant.  My rentals are in Washington DC which has some of the most tenant-friendly/tenant-biased laws and protections in the country.  

My biggest fear is that I quit my day job and live off rental income and then my market turns into Detroit.  I'm diversified with stocks/bonds/alternatives so that in the unlikely event my market does turn into Detroit, it won't be a complete disaster for me.

My biggest fear is "fear" itself. If I don't begin I'll never end. If I don't start I'll never finish.

I am looking to purchase my first property by the end of the year and sometimes my mind gets in the way and creates resistance and doubt. 

I am ready to pursue this business to replace my current career and grow my weatlth exponentially.

Originally posted by @Paul C. :

My biggest fear is that I quit my day job and live off rental income and then my market turns into Detroit.  I'm diversified with stocks/bonds/alternatives so that in the unlikely event my market does turn into Detroit, it won't be a complete disaster for me.

well in the Detroit burbs you can buy properties for 40-50k and rent them out for 900 so that isn't so bad 

I fear over analyzing my way out of deals.  I already did this twice in the recent past but I gained some lessons from it and now I'm about to make 2 deals.  But I tend to worry and second guess my decisions due to a lack of confidence and lack of trusting the math.  Hopefully with experience this will change. 

I fear the unknown. 

Originally posted by @Scott K. :
Originally posted by @Paul C.:

well in the Detroit burbs you can buy properties for 40-50k and rent them out for 900 so that isn't so bad 

Those numbers do sound pretty good.  Out of curiosity, do you know what the longer term trends on rents and home prices in the Detroit suburbs have been?  How much would these houses that currently rent for $900 have rented for in the past?  How much would they have sold for in the past?

As long as rental rates keep pace with inflation and vacancy is manageable, it does take the sting out of declining home prices.  I just don't have enough data to know if that was the case.  If both rents and prices declined dramatically, that would be a problem.

Like most people on this site; my biggest fear is losing other investor's money on a bad property investment deal. Obviously there are no guarantees in any financial transaction and I could probably deal with it if it is my own money but I don't want to ever be in a position to tell an investor that they may not get the expected ROI.

I am fortunate that this hasn't happened but It is something that always bothers when I think about it. 

Originally posted by @Paul C. :
Originally posted by @Scott K.:
Originally posted by @Paul C.:

Those numbers do sound pretty good.  Out of curiosity, do you know what the longer term trends on rents and home prices in the Detroit suburbs have been?  How much would these houses that currently rent for $900 have rented for in the past?  How much would they have sold for in the past?

As long as rental rates keep pace with inflation and vacancy is manageable, it does take the sting out of declining home prices.  I just don't have enough data to know if that was the case.  If both rents and prices declined dramatically, that would be a problem.

Well the prices have been all over the place.  All my properties are free and clear so the it would have to be a total meltdown.  Even when Michigan got hammered all my parents property stay full with happy renters.  There will always be a good rental market in the burbs of Detroit.

I've thought about my fears quite extensively and I think the biggest thing for me is going in blind.  I've been thinking about purchasing properties to rent out and I know that there is a bounty of information on this site but I'm still the type of person that would like to see the process.  That and the fact that I'm still a holdout for a permanent full-time work position (currently working temp) have kept me extremely hesitant on making a move.

I am afraid of something bad happening to my tenants that I might have prevented. (I've had plenty of bad happen to various tenants , but so far nothing that I would have any reason to feel responsible for.) I have a competent and careful manager and more than adequate insurance... but sh*t happens. I've read posts here on BP about fires and other disasters, and I hope it never happens on my watch.

I fear buying a house with a VERY expensive hidden problem.  I am seriously thinking of taking a home inspector class.  Most houses I bid on will not allow for the contingency of a professional home inspector.  

I'm an introvert and have figured out ways to work with my strengths over the years. I think my biggest fear is wondering if it's the right time. I realize there will never be a right time. My biggest fear is knowing the right things to say. 

I believe that we overtime can overcome many of these fears, through practice and support. I've dealt with inaction but the way I have gotten over that is listening to experienced investors speak humbly. Witnessing that they don't know everything and they just did it anyway and will figure out the rest. Yes in some circumstances you can mitigate risk but you certainly can't completely eliminate it. 

I think meditation before doing something fearful is important. Whenever I have a fear about something, I think through it, all of the worse possible outcomes, then I think of my why. 

An inspirational moment occurred to me a few weeks ago. I took my son to the Concert for Valor and we listened to Veterans and their stories of how they risk their lives every day because of honor, because they said they would and because they had a huge enough why. It made my fears feel very minuscule compared to what they face. I laughed at myself when I think that I'm afraid to speak to a seller lol. 

Our fears compared to others fears aren't that big at all. Fear = Face Everything And Rise or Face it Explore it Accept it Respond.

My biggest fear is having one the 500 pound, retarded, newport inhaling, ghetto baltimore cows running at me full speed like I'm a winning keno ticket

Right now my biggest fear is that I'm expanding my business too quickly- I'm going from literally what I did all of 2014 as far as flipping for the year to doing that in the next month and its scary to acquire a ton of properties at once there is the fear of failure lots of What IF's  but I think even bigger than that fear is that I will die poor so I will do whatever it takes to be as far away from the poverty line as possible.

Originally posted by Account Closed:

My biggest fear is having one the 500 pound, retarded, newport inhaling, ghetto baltimore cows running at me full speed like I'm a winning keno ticket

OMG me too!!

Seriously though, what I fear most is looking back on the past few days or weeks and realizing I did nothing to improve my situation, or even worse, that I did something to sabotage or undermine my situation, putting me back days or weeks to square one. I'm afraid of giving into temptation and ruining what right now amounts to 12 days of progress and counting.

@Frantzces Lys  

I was a soldier (didn't go to the war) but for some reason the idea of going to the war was easier than the idea of talking to sellers.

I don't know why but it is pretty messed up.

My biggest fear recently was the fear of cancer.  I had a cancer scare and yesterday the Doctor gave me the all clear.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ml6ktrA

In business my fears are normal. Fear of failure.  Fear of hiring the wrong people.

Fear of failing my family.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here