Direct Mail: Do you ever not return a call?

5 Replies

For those of you guys that have done direct mail for quite sometime are there any calls that you simply don't return? 

1. The old lady telling you she will sell for 75k on a house that is worth 34k.
  2. The person whose vocabulary is limited to 4 letter words.
  3. Person who just bought the house and wants to sell it at top dollar. 

You guys get the idea. I am just curious if there are any calls you don't return? The way I see it you could end up missing a deal if you don't but I know there are calls I simply haven't returned. 

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)

Are you a business? Is it professional for a business to not return calls? Would you EVER do business with someone who operated so unprofessionally? Would you recommend them to friends or family? Give them a favorable review? Did you ask them to call you?

Just trying to bring some perspective.....

I know....some one will get on here and talk about time wasters and such....absolutely true, time is your most valuable asset....

But reputation is also very important, as is excellence. Be excellent in the little things and it will spread to your entire business.

The little old Lady may just need some education, Mr. 4 letter word simply having a bad day. A couple want's top dollar on a move in ready home? Refer them to the Agent in your network.

And if it really just gets to be too much....look into a VA

We try to TAKE every call LIVE so we rarely are "returning" calls.  And if they go to  voicemail, etc., we return EVERY CALL and we make a cash offer to EVERY SELLER even if we know it will not be acceptable.  They could come back in 6 months and ask if the offer is still good.

But we also try to solve the seller's problem - whether with a cash offer or something else like listing the house, owner financing, subject to's, lease option, property management, etc.  So YES we take every call and unless we're too slammed we try to meet every seller in person.

Even if we can't buy their house, they might have a brother, aunt, parent, or friend that needs to sell fast for cash as-is...

This is a people business and every person is a new "node" in your network... add as many nodes as possible by engaging with everyone that reaches out to you...

Originally posted by @Jerry Puckett :

Are you a business? Is it professional for a business to not return calls? Would you EVER do business with someone who operated so unprofessionally? Would you recommend them to friends or family? Give them a favorable review? Did you ask them to call you?

Just trying to bring some perspective.....

I know....some one will get on here and talk about time wasters and such....absolutely true, time is your most valuable asset....

But reputation is also very important, as is excellence. Be excellent in the little things and it will spread to your entire business.

The little old Lady may just need some education, Mr. 4 letter word simply having a bad day. A couple want's top dollar on a move in ready home? Refer them to the Agent in your network.

And if it really just gets to be too much....look into a VA

````````````If  you want to fail in your business, dont return phone calls.````````````

If you need Customer Service Training to deal with challenging people, hire that talent out.

Is you name on the door or WHAT?

Dealing with difficult prospects - look here

http://www.mtdsalestraining.com/mtdblog/category/p...  No compensation

You can either sell and persuade or you cant.

And that is the quarterback's job.

So learn how to deal with prospects so you can SCORE ($$$)

I should clarify a bit although these have been some great answers. I do phone sales for a living so I understand the importance for the basics. We are working on getting a realtor in our network to pass leads onto.  I was more referring to your "this will never be for sale don't contact us ever again types." Curious if you guys call them to give them a follow up. We don't have the luxury of taking all of our calls live unfortunately due to having fulltime w2 jobs. I do think from this thread that I need to be making offers on the "unrealistic" homes. I also agree that they may need some educating. We just went through all of our leads for the last few months as we are always looking for something to improve on. Looks like I found it! 

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)

I return every call. My point of view is you wouldn't reply to me if there was no interest. Therefore they've opened the door to conversation. My direct mail is extremely targeted to distressed debt; therefore I'm typically their best option. My call normally end in either they are not ready to sell and they will give me a call when they are (they usually do) or making an appointment. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.