What kind of car do you drive?

496 Replies

2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid, 100k miles. I've been a "car guy" my whole life, and have slowed my progress investing with a few money pits along the way haha.

2007 Avalanche. Business in the front...party in the back. Purchased it because it got a brand new motor at 55K miles when the Chevy place neglected to refill the fluids before trying to start it up. :) So....I have a paid off 2007 with about 65K miles on it. I am a RE agent but I will not get swept up in the luxury car stuff. I bring value with my brain...not my car. 

Dang... now I feel bad about getting a USED car last year even at a good price. You folks are saving some  $$$$ with these depreciating vehicles. 

But my Mazda 6 is a solid car that gets me almost 30 MPG in the city, I'll handle the $290 / Mo payment. 

and yes, some ppl are idiots with their high $$$ leases and 2019 fully-loaded cars paying $600+ a month. You should be swimming in money before paying that money, but America is full ppl that consume 1st,  consume 2nd, and invest/save 3rd. :)

Never understood why people want such flashy new vehicles. Autos are just money pits. New car loans and prices are insane. I always buy them with cash used.

I got a old beater 4x4 8' f150

A superduty with utility body 

And a gas saving car

2017 superduty. I pull a trailer almost daily, as well as haul up to 5k lbs in the bed so I have always run diesel trucks. Definitely not the most economical when unloaded but when I'm working, It's efficient. Bought when I was a contractor so the tax benefits were huge. I would not buy this truck without the ability to write off depreciation. That said, loan was cheap, and even with $0 down I was only upside down for 6 months. Didn't pay sticker... Wife's car is a 2012 accord sedan. So boring but probably the best financial decision I ever made, besides my house. Battery, brakes, tires, and wipers in 7 years. Less than $1k(I enjoy turning wrenches). I am $9k out of pocket on the truck over the last 33 months because of the tax benefits when I bought the truck and have $13k in equity on it. 

Old post but I drive a 2018 Subaru WRXSTI yes it was expensive and yes its flashy and new. But when I first started this that was my motivation I love cars. Its one of my passions in life I wold love to own 20 cars. I haven't boughten new clothes in about 3 years so I'm not just buying things to impress people. So for someone to say that its stupid to buy a new car you are wrong, it might an irresponsible use of money but what's the point of having money if you don't buy the things you want. Im not embarrassed by my decision and I don't regret it. It brings me joy and  I have a lot of fun driving it. I have put 30k miles on it in one year so I get my use out of it. Money is money it comes and goes but time is limited so do the things you enjoy. 

2001 Toyota Camry, it has no hub caps it’s very  reliable  & low key . It’s my humble vehicle. I love it .

Originally posted by @Benjamin Tighe :

2017 superduty. I pull a trailer almost daily, as well as haul up to 5k lbs in the bed so I have always run diesel trucks. Definitely not the most economical when unloaded but when I'm working, It's efficient. Bought when I was a contractor so the tax benefits were huge. I would not buy this truck without the ability to write off depreciation. That said, loan was cheap, and even with $0 down I was only upside down for 6 months. Didn't pay sticker... Wife's car is a 2012 accord sedan. So boring but probably the best financial decision I ever made, besides my house. Battery, brakes, tires, and wipers in 7 years. Less than $1k(I enjoy turning wrenches). I am $9k out of pocket on the truck over the last 33 months because of the tax benefits when I bought the truck and have $13k in equity on it. 

The Tesla X qualifies for the 100% depreciation write off day one..  so adding another of those to our stables.. we can take the write off since my wife is a full time realtor and I am full time Broker / developer.. so we have his and hers.. and both 100% write off I figure buying them in the year we write them off saves us about 35k in tax out of pocket that year..  

I’m young and trying to add units so I’m pinching EVERY Penny!  I currently hold roughly $3M of cash flow positive long term rentals(about 75% leveraged) and I drive a ‘97 Ford Ranger with 130k miles picked it up for $1,000 cash, it’s ugly but reliable and gets about 30mpg.  Probably going to focus on paying down debt to a safer number before I upgrade.

Just upgraded.

The old: 2003 Ford Explorer XLT with 120k miles. Mechanic says I had maybe 1-2 years left on the motor after I brought it in to get a rattling noise checked out. (Bought it for 6500 back in 2009). Estimated 12 mpg.

The new: 2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid with 100k miles. It is much flashier and comfortable. I will kinda feel bad hauling junk in the back and on the roof like I used to (maybe!) But I still have the 3rd row which is great for the family and dog. Currently getting 22 mpg but should be able to push that up a few more with better hybrid driving skills. Paid 10.5k.

I'm living in East Asia and driving a highly reliable Daewoo that I bought from a colleague for $1800. I spend more than this amount on food for myself every month ;) Food and travel are 95%+ of what I spend money on these days.

Before this, I owned two cars, each valued at $9K, sold them both (had to).

I still drive a 1997 Ford Ranger 4 banger 5 speed manual with 230k miles on it haha. I love to work on cars which is why its cheap for me to keep it running. One of my goals is to have a cash flowing asset that can afford me a newer used ranger but mine still running just fine allowing me to focus on getting assets.  

I wish I knew about investing a little bit earlier...say a year ago when I decided to get a loan on my Camaro I’m shoveling out $500 a month just for my car and insurance, GRANTED I love my car to death and as a young human I had to have THAT car. hoping to sell it come spring next year it’ll be missed but my wallet and future investments will be happier!!

@Jeff Sims I drive a 2018 F350 Limited that’s lifted and says “We Buy Houses” all over it. I agree with keeping minimum payments and investing in things that pay me. If aggressively marketing a new flashy vehicle definitely gets more attention. I have got 3 deals off my truck in a year and get leads everyday. Also wrote $28,000 off my taxes on the standard mileage deduction. When I drove my 2008 around a year ago I had a lot of questions on how I was going to pay cash so fast. Since driving the

new truck I have never been asked if I was good for the close. I see both sides but if aggressive marketing and revenue is your goal I think newer and flashy is better

@Jay Hinrichs

I thought you were all about Tesla. In fact, I think of how you snagged the Tesla wave earlier on than most, now the market wont stop talking about them Teslas. I would think in the back of my mind that, Jay, having an eye for ‘future appreciation’, could see Tesla’s potential early on

I ride a bicycle.....

Just kidding!!! :-) 

I drive a beater Toyota 2010, 109,000 miles. Could buy Lambo's and Bentley's in cash, but drive a car I paid 5K for on craigslist. It was an upgrade from my 2004 Civic I sold after it blew a head gasket a second time (common with that year/model).

My tenants drive nicer, newer cars than me. Most are luxury cars, Audi's, BMW's, Infinity's, etc. Yet they rent a house from me, the guy with a beater Toyota...strange how that works.

Current - 2010 Nissan xTerra off road, 140K miles.. paid $30K cash in 2010..

Want - 2020 VW Atlas Cross Sports, 2.0T.... Outdoor price of $38K... 

Should I, shouldn't I?

Ugh... Lol

Im a bit different as my main day job is luxury car sales and my hobbies include road racing and auto cross. Over the last 5 

years I have owned a 2012 Cadillac CTS V coup(730hp), a 2006 Porsche 911 Carerra 4S, 2001 Lexus IS300 (dailey driver) and now a 2013 Scion FRS. Some I bought cash, some I financed, and I've always made money on them because well, I can buy wholesale. I got into real estate to help feed my auto obsession and my eventual retirement. It is a goal of mine to get a Lamborghini and at my current pace I'm about 4-6 years away. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you