Elevator pitch mindset change

6 Replies

I have spent some time today reflecting on my RE investing.  During my time, I concluded that I have not been telling others that I am an investor when I meet new people.  I have a full time job as an engineer and when I meet people on a plane or in other places, I seem to always mention my full time job first during my introduction rather than mention that I am an investor in Real Estate.  I know that if I mentioned RE first, we may have a totally different conversation and may even make some great contacts that would be helpful in my business.  Yet when I meet someone my full time job seems to come out first.

Is this something that other people have had to work through in the past?  Would anyone have any advice as to how to get my mindset to change and be more natural at mentioning my investing?

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

(Complete opinion... no facts to bacK this up). I'm an engineer too (or rather a grad student in mechanical engineering) and it is far more comfortable for me to talk about that with strangers than real estate investing. For me... it's because real estate is just a hobby now and not a full fledged business that I am vested in. In the future (should I ever scale up and actually get a business model off the ground) I think I would have more motivation to talk about real estate. It's probably a matter of pride (good engineering accomplishments, not so good real estate accomplishments).

Long story short... Perhaps it is just a matter of thinking of your investing as your business / job as well.

~Diner

P.S. I'm looking for an engineering internship... if you happen to know of any...I would not mind a private message.

I think the answer to that depends on how you feel about your investing career. If you consider it a hobby, or a part-time job, then it's not surprising that you would not mention it straight off. Or it may be that you don't really feel "all in" yet, and telling people you are a REI and then having to go back and tell the same people later you are now an engineer may feel awkward or embarrassing.

I usually avoid mentioning anything of what I do unless someone asks. My real identity is the things that I do for love rather than money - not that I don't enjoy both my day job and my investment properties. That said, you often stumble upon unexpected opportunity when you put yourself out there, so if you are looking to expand your investment empire or opportunities you absolutely should lead with it. 

@David Diner @JD Martin I agree, I have been thinking of RE as more of a hobby for the last 8 years even with 12 units, it does not consume as much time (thankfully) as my full time job.  

@Joe Fairless Thanks - It does seem like it should be that simple.  I will take time and train my mind.

@Nick BrittonI have met several people on flights that have been multi millionaires and I regret not being more forward about RE.  As you say there are always HUGE deals awaiting all of us.

Thanks everyone for the feedback

Jim

@Jim Hartmann

I also think some more natural questions that arise from your initial question are "Why am I involved in Real Estate?" and "What are my career goals?" The answer to these questions may help paint a better picture of your perspective on real estate.

Good luck!

~Diner

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you