Sacrificing Holidays for Success?

22 Replies

Thing is...your loved ones won't always be here.  Properties will be.   

I know I'm on BP for a bit, too--but I'm home with hubby and will be seeing our son's family later today.  Don't lose track of what can be replaced and what never can be.

Happy Holidays!

Hope to read a book about how you became successful in the near future. People like you motivate to do some thing about it. I don't have any thing but hope to be like the people on this forum one day.

The reason I became an investor was so I could have this time off for my family. 

People are serving their country and that's a noble cause but this is investing. 

Plus I'm a wholesaler so my VA can do anything that really needs to be done. I doubt any sellers I have would want to meet today.

I challenge you to mark what advances you made from today and how your competitors didn't. I'd like to see exactly how far ahead you get over them. 

It depends where you are in your journey. I would say take the time off if you can. I'm working right now because in my journey, I'm still building and know once I get there, I can take as much time off as I want. I need to build my business first.  I know loved ones won't be here forever but I spent quality time with my family already. They are sick of me lol. So I balanced it out. But my goal for next year is to not have to work for a whole week!! :) Good luck. 

@Account Closed  Absolutely love and respect the hustle you have going on.

Regardless of the holidays or anything else that may be going on in this crazy adventure we call life, I like to live by a simple quote that one of my mentors taught me. "Spend a few years doing what others don't, so you can live the rest of your life like others can't".. With any endeavor, sacrifice and outworking the competition is going to give you that edge over everyone else. 

The one thing we can control as human beings is our effort. Sometimes that entails doing things you don't want to do. Much respect Nick. Keep up the grind! BIG  things are coming for you and anyone else out there who has a strong mindset like you have. 

Justin Peters

Real Estate Professional 

Dallas/Fort Worth

I'm finding the blend of ideas and philosophies somewhat  interestning on this thread. Having been an entrepreneur for the past half century  and bringing 5 children up in our family biz has only served to balance our family pendulum overall and moving forward.

I remember many a Christmas Eves, Christmas Days, New Years, Easter, July 4th, family birthdays and every/other holiday that has come and gone over the almost 4 decades we've run our biz's. 

When the bugle blows, as a self employeed individual, you come a runnin. A lot of folks use the Holiday Card as an excuse to put aside responsibilities and obligations and if that's the path they want to follow then they need to work for someone who offers holidays off. 

Entrepreneurs don't have that luxury. We have to rise to the occasion. We owe it to our families, we owe it to our clients and we owe it to ourselves. Have a very Happy Holiday Season and prosperous '16!!

I am 41 now. When I was younger I was focused on working every minute to get ahead of everyone else.

Today I work smarter and not harder. Early in my life as a child I Iost some key people. That taught me to value time. I have had businesses in the past where you work constantly and make great money but everything else was out of balance and you never had time to enjoy it.

Today my mantra is about balance and true happiness in all facets of my life. If I am overflowing in one area but bone dry in others then I do not consider that a success. I have known plenty of people with lots of money and business success that are miserable. Without balance it means nothing.

My favorite part of yesterday was  seeing my mom at 72 years old eating the pot roast I made for 9 hours in a crock pot and laughing at everyone having a good time opening gifts to each other. I can always make more money but I can't get back those times I will cherish forever. 

Money is just a conduit to do the things you want in life. I used to be outwork everyone and a good work ethic is admirable but taken to extreme's it can be unhealthy and unbalanced. Over the years I have changed my outlook and it is interesting to see how much I have changed from age 20 to age 40.

Wishing everyone success and happiness in however you may define it. 

With all this discussion of working on holidays, I remember my hubby's Uncle Bob and Auntie Linda.  They worked for Fred Harvey, whose company has or had hotels at the Grand Canyon, as well as a travel service.   

They worked hard--never taking a holiday or family occasion off--because they felt that if they worked hard now, they'd eventually be able to retire and travel around the country.

Trouble is...years before that was supposed to happen, Uncle Bob suffered a fatal heart attack at the wheel of a tour bus at the airport.  Thank God, no one was hurt, but the point needs to be taken.

I, too, have had occasions to work during holidays in the past and assumed that everything would be in place with my loved ones another time.  But as they say, time stands still for no one.  Now I could kick myself.  

Before you work on a holiday or family day that's also meaningful to others, ask yourself whether you'd still say it's worth it if the people you loved weren't there the next time the day rolled around.  Whoever said lives need balance was right on the mark.  No matter how much money you have, you can lose it all, but nobody can take away your memories.

Originally posted by @Joel Owens :

I am 41 now. When I was younger I was focused on working every minute to get ahead of everyone else.

Today I work smarter and not harder. Early in my life as a child I Iost some key people. That taught me to value time. I have had businesses in the past where you work constantly and make great money but everything else was out of balance and you never had time to enjoy it.

Today my mantra is about balance and true happiness in all facets of my life. If I am overflowing in one area but bone dry in others then I do not consider that a success. I have known plenty of people with lots of money and business success that are miserable. Without balance it means nothing.

My favorite part of yesterday was  seeing my mom at 72 years old eating the pot roast I made for 9 hours in a crock pot and laughing at everyone having a good time opening gifts to each other. I can always make more money but I can't get back those times I will cherish forever. 

Money is just a conduit to do the things you want in life. I used to be outwork everyone and a good work ethic is admirable but taken to extreme's it can be unhealthy and unbalanced. Over the years I have changed my outlook and it is interesting to see how much I have changed from age 20 to age 40.

Wishing everyone success and happiness in however you may define it. 

Poetry. 

@Account Closed said. Money is just a tool to enhance your life. Its not a substitute for your life. You can make more money. You cannot make more time. That doesn't mean we all turn into bums and stay home all day. But there is a balance and to me enjoying weekends, holidays and vacations with people I love is a huge part of the joy of life. Shouldn't those be part of your goals as well? Is money the only measure of success? I encourage you to broaden your thinking about your goals and what they really mean.

Nick,

No, your assumption is right. I am in a discussion right now about the priorities and my family agreed 'work comes first'. So going ahead to meet a prospective seller, amazing! feeling relaxed :)

I was playing with my kids.  The types of people I do business with are also playing with their kids or grandkids.   If somebody called me or shot me a business email on Christmas they would immediately go into the "not my type of guy" bin.   Trying too hard,  salesmen breath... whatever you want to call it.    Balance is very, very, very important.  Like Joel,  I have also run businesses where the time demands took away from my family and it was miserable.  The beauty of Real Estate is that you don't have to work crazy hours or "outwork" everybody.   Working smarter, making great connections and maintaining those relationships is what the long term winners do.  

That being said... I also can't stand the people that use the holidays as an excuse to take half the month off.  

@Account Closed , if you had kids, I'd think you're a jerk for working on Christmas! (Grin, just kidding). This said, you seem eager, and if your goal is to "arrive" at your destination sooner, whatever that destination is, then I give you credit for the effort. I wouldn't use your buddies as justification, though, since as a veteran that has been deployed during the holidays, and as the father of a veteran that served in Afghanistan during the holiday season, I'm fairly certain that your friends would rather have been home on the 25th. Also, since REI is a bit different than what they are doing, I doubt they'd award brownie points for your 10 hour "sacrifice," unless, of course, you doing this to build the business with the intent of offering them jobs when they come home (in which case I'll give you the brownie points!). Either way, thank them for their service, and good luck! We each blaze our own path, and you obviously have inspired some here...

@Account Closed Of course the holidays are not the only time to enjoy with family. But it is a time kids are out of school (I know you said you don't have any so maybe doesn't matter to you right now), everyone is working less and has more free time to meet, there are a lot of holiday get togethers and parties, extended families travel to meet each other etc. So while you can of course spend time with family all year, and should, the holidays offer some special opportunities. I travel a lot for work but would never choose to travel over the Christmas holidays for all those reasons. If in your life this time of year is not particularly special, thats perfectly fine. All I am saying is consider all aspects of your life in your priorities. And if your father has indeed piled millions upon millions, why then do you feel the need to exceed that? Why not examine where that drive or compulsion is coming from? What did your father sacrifice for that? Did he spend time with his family as much as they would have liked? I don't know you or your family so please don't take offense. I am just pointing out that many people chase the one dimensional version of success that this society imposes on us and it all seems about money. And thats all I want to challenge.

Originally posted by @Nick Britton:

Happy Holidays to everyone! I am enjoying this Christmas in my office in Miami and will be here for at least 10 hours. I view this as another day to get another deal. My family has already written me off as crazy, however my belief is I'm in a relationship with my goals, dreams, and self and right now I refuse to cheat on that relationship with anything or anyone (even holidays.)

I personally know 12 of my brothers fighting a war over seas right now for our freedom, and believe that a 10 hour Christmas Day in the office is NOTHING. I view the holidays as a chance to get a head when everyone else is taking sometime off, however; I can't be the only one.. Can I?

Listen I'm all for being dedicated, having strong goals, and visions.  For all the soldiers overseas. I am thankful for them every day. Now at the same time I got into this business, so I can spend more time with my family. I don't want to have regrets in life. My father recently been diagnosed and is battling stage 4 bone cancer in july of this past year.  For the last 5 years I was too busy to go see him. I was always traveling building my company. Now that we don't know how much time we have together I enjoy every minute. Don't have regrets, be happy we are blessed to be in a business that we can have more free time then most. I don't work now to be rich ( financial security yes ) I work now to be free.

For my wife its not Christmas , not the gifts ,and the money spent. Its is the time that family is getting together and having a awesome holiday dinner ( which I cook for  every one )

Sometimes taking a break and having time to reflect things change. Priorities and goals change. I get success and not stopping at all cost. Some times you have to add the cost of getting their. Then ask your self was and is it worth it.

Slowing down was not a word in my vocabulary. Now I'm listening with my ears not my mouth. Slowing down was the  key for our company to grow and rebuild. I'm just an average joe who lives in the sticks( country boy ). So take what I say lightly, but hopefully you find what you are looking for.

Alex

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you