Help! I have ADD - Book Advice

5 Replies

I know I'm not the only one out here that starts a million tasks and never finishes them. Or has a million ideas in their head but has a hard time following through with many of them. I want to flip, buy-and-hold, BRRR, do EVERYTHING! I look at a million houses but rarely make offers because I don't follow through. I start a project around the house and the supplies are in the way for the next YEAR.

Knowing there's more of me out there, my question is, what recommendations do people have on books that specifically focus on focus? I have a feeling Miracle Morning would be a good start...

@Thea Linkfield Have you heard of reddit.com?  It is a news aggregation discussion website.  They have what they call subreddits, which are theme or category based forums.  They have one for ADHD, https://www.reddit.com/r/ADHD/.  You can post this same question there and it is probably more suited to your question.

People with ADD/ADHD often need structure, or situations where you are more reactive the proactive.  Think about when somebody is coming over to your house.  Suddenly you react and have the motivation to clean the house, where you could have mustered up the proactive discipline to do it before.

It sounds like you have too much unstructured time on your hands.  The nice thing about being an investor, for me, is that, while there is still a need to be proactive, there are lots of things that need to be reacted to.  You hear about a deal and have to go see it.  You get a call from a seller and have to take it.  Repair issues have to be tended to.

@Thea Linkfield Top 1 book i think of for FOCUS is "ONE THING"

Read it! It helped me in a great way. 

Hi @Thea Linkfield  

Fellow ADD guy here. Stopping tasks at 80-90% completion and leaving them there is a big one for me.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct that The Morning Miracle is an amazing start. I just got the book a few months ago and wow! When I start the day with that structure and focus, it definitely helps keep it rolling all day. 

@Seetha G has a good one there two with The One Thing. I'd say read that book after The Morning Miracle. Reading is part of TMM, so that would be a good one first book for the new morning routine. 

The Power of Habit is also great. Toss up between that and The One Thing in my opinion. 

And Extreme Ownership could be a good one after those. Not as much about focus/habits, but just about taking full ownership of everything that happens in your life. 

Thank you @Austin Fruechting and @Seetha G that's exactly what I was looking for!

I am trying to read 1 real estate/business book a month so The One Thing will be my next. Ironically, I have read about 80% of  Miracle Morning, so I will buckle down and finish that one this month.

@Thea Linkfield - have you implemented the miracle morning? Reading it does you nothing. But when you start the day by doing it (or a version of it), and do it consistently, that’s when you’ll notice change. 

I’m restarting and getting back on track. Today is day 1. I did it for a month, then didn’t do it for the past month or so because of a lot of travel, and laziness when I wasn’t traveling. The difference of what I get done is crazy. Every aspect of my life was better, personal and professional, when I start every day in the right way. It takes a bit to really click, but I noticed differences from the beginning. 

“The first hour of the morning is the rudder of the day.” 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.