• Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Ultimate BPCON2019 Discussion

Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorPosted Oct 8 2019, 20:21

I am at the airport flying back home from the BPCON2019 conference. Like many of you, I had some great take-ways from the discussion panels, seminars and social hour conversations. I thought I would create a thread for attendees to discuss their experiences and what they learned.

Overall, great job BP team!!

First of all, as a professional who has been to over 75 conferences in my career, I have seen the good bad and ugly. I feel this gives me a unique perspective to rate the BiggerPockets Conference on overall quality compared to other conferences I have attended.

It was well organized. Maybe it was hectic in the background, but the attendees didn't see it. BP was smart to bring a large group of team members so they had enough man/woman power. The check-in process was good. Swag bag and auction were fun. There was ample signage with nice artwork and the convention had a good layout. The Gaylord venue is excellent (but not cheap). They have tons of hotel rooms, restaurants and plenty of conference space to run multiple events. Nashville was a nice selection for the venue. It is a hip and fun destination,is centrally located and the Nashville real estate market it on fire. 

The format of offering 2-3 tracks at each time slot is common in conferences and works well. Someone starting out can attend a house hacking seminar, while someone experienced can attend a next level topic. Providing food and drink as part of the event is a must. The social hours and after parties were probably the best I have seen.

There was a very small number of trade exhibitor booths compared to other shows I attend. Of course other shows I attend are on their 15-25th year, so they have had time to build a sponsorship. The exhibitors were off to the side. One recommendation I have is to mix some of the food or drink breaks into the middle of the exhibitors. That forces people into the exhibitor space. More booth traffic means the sponsors see more value, so they are willing to sign up in the future and pay more money. The more sponsors there are to pay the bill, the less it can cost for attendees! The exhibitors provide value for us, by showing us new technology or services that can help our business, so it is a win for everyone.

Quality of the key notes was excellent. Brandon and Josh delivered powerful mindset messages, which is exactly what a keynote should be. Brandon delivered a three point message. Know what you want, know how to get there and become the hero. Josh told his personal story and intermixed a powerful message of focusing on what is important, along with knowing when it is time for the next step. Josh spoke from the heart and very articulately. The other sessions were informative and hosted by experienced real estate professionals. I thought the variety was good, although some of the 30 minute sessions were rushed. Some of the speakers needed an hour, so maybe next time, give them more time.

Nashville was great, but if this is annual, moving venues each year is nice. Variety is important and it will draw new people as it moves around. 

The live podcast and discussion panels were the best! All the BiggerPockets "all stars" on the stage taking fire round questions. It was fun and informative.

It was great to meet so many people and have great conversations with so many of you! I am interested to hear what you all have to say.

Tag people you met at the show so we can get this thread going!! 

@Mindy Jensen @Nathan Gesner @Dave Meyer @Alexander Felice  

@Shiloh Lundahl @Scott Trench 

Loading replies...