New Member Introduction

22 Replies

I am a newbie from Washington DC. I am retired and new to real estate investment. I live overseas and plan to invest in the Washington DC area and in Indianapolis, IN. I have been reading books on REI and listening to Bigger Pockets webinars, forum and the Marketplace for the past year. I plan to buy distressed or outdated single-family homes in DC area and Indianapolis below market value to rehab and sale. I need to find a Realtor who is also a REI, a reliable contractor, and a property manager both in DC and in Indianapolis. Any assistance with these issues is highly appreciated.

@Rita Casco welcome to BP! You will find a lot of useful info here by searching your topics of interest. Add DC and Indy to your keywords alert to stay on top of discussions. Start networking with others to build your network. 

Welcome Rita. I’m currently living in the DC area and have been looking into the Indy market a lot the last few months. I’m no expert but I’ve learned a bit about some of the neighborhoods in Indy. As for DC it’s mostly out of my range so I haven’t looked into it much. Good luck, if you have any questions I’d be happy to help if I can.

Thank you Brian for your suggestions.  I will follow them 

Travis:  I will be in DC for 14 days beginning October 26.   I would like to get your phone number so that I may call you and talk about Indianapolis.   

Hello! @Rita Casco

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I have other blogs that may be helpful here on BP in my personal blog that you can check out. Good Luck :)

@Brandon L.   THANK YOU!  I get contacted all the time asking me if I am "investor friendly".  I try and let folks know that every one of my clients I do have that "fiduciary duty" to them all and pretty much every person I come across I try and be friendly to them.  

With that being said, I think it's important for the folks I work with to ask those questions you have written about, but you also want an agent who is investing in real estate themselves. I try and have at least one flip going at a time and I am always looking for my next rental opportunity. So, I personally know what each investor is going to be looking for. Some are at a higher level than me or are looking for different angles, but in the end....we are all trying to find "the best deal with the best ROI". I find deals all the time that I would love to do myself, but financially I just cant swing them and I get excited to pass those opportunities onto my other investors who will happily take the projects on, and in turn, I get a happy investor....win/win.

My advise....find an agent that is doing what you want to do.  They speak your language.

Thank you Brandon.  I will definitely check out the blogs that you have recommended.   

Hi Joel:   I would like to contact you.   

HI Nicole:

I would like to know more about your success in turnkey investing in Indy.

@Rita Casco I've been active in Indianapolis since 2010 and know the market well. I'd be happy to help if I can. I don't want to discourage you but you also need to be realistic and understand the challenges going in. I think you're going to find it very difficult to do what you want to do from overseas. 

Originally posted by @Rita Casco :

I am a newbie from Washington DC. I am retired and new to real estate investment. I live overseas and plan to invest in the Washington DC area and in Indianapolis, IN. I have been reading books on REI and listening to Bigger Pockets webinars, forum and the Marketplace for the past year. I plan to buy distressed or outdated single-family homes in DC area and Indianapolis below market value to rehab and sale. I need to find a Realtor who is also a REI, a reliable contractor, and a property manager both in DC and in Indianapolis. Any assistance with these issues is highly appreciated.

Welcome to the site Rita.

Thanks, James.

Hi Mike: 

Thanks you for your message. I am interested in talking to you about your REI experience in Indianapolis. I know that investing from overseas is more difficult but perhaps not impossible. I come to the States two or three time a year and if I build a good team, I may be able to do it. I need to find a lender, a realtor with REI experience and a good property manager. I have talked to some real estate agent but they have not been responsive. I was pre-approved by a lender a couple of months ago, but decide not to buy the property because the home inspection found some structural problems that I did not want to deal with. Recently, I found a property that I like and wanted to make an offer but decided to call the lender first. I kept calling him and he never answer. Eventually, I found out that he no longer worked there. So, I started the process with another agent but he is not responsive either. So, I am back to square one. Your assistance in helping me navigate through this hurdles is highly appreciated

@Rita Cosco. I'd be glad to connect with you. :D

This post has been removed.

Thanks Cassidy.   

@Rita Casco

Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

Welcome @Rita Casco I live in California and invest in Indy. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have, DM me if you want any recommendations on areas, PM, wholesalers or agents. 

@Rita Casco Welcome to the INdy market. I highly recommend connecting with local investors and agents to get you started and get a feel for whats going on. It's well worth the plane ride to visit a new market and make connections.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here