• Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Mediocre Deal on a Duplex with a potential upside

Dave E.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Jul 30 2020, 14:35

I found a mediocre deal on a duplex in Indianapolis (Marion County).  $128k, purchase price, Rent is currently $625 per unit which is just a bit below market.  Average is closer to $680 for the area.  Property will require some minor improvements.  The listing says that the adjacent lot is included in the deal.  When I search the tax records etc, and drive by the property, it does not look like a separate lot.  It is just a long narrow lot that happens to be on a corner.  So the duplex is built on the front, there is a driveway in the middle that basically splits the property into two halves, and the back is wide open with the exception of a utility easement.  Still plenty of room to build something between the drive and the utility easement.

My question is this. Does anyone have experience with Marion county? Wondering if they will allow you to split the lot into two and build another duplex or SFR on the back half? If not does Marion county allow for ADU's? The opportunity to develop the back half of the lot could potentially make a mediocre deal kinda sweet. Especially if I can split it. Then I can either sell the land, or build something on it and increase cash flow, or build and sell.

Just kicking tires at the moment.  Not super deep into the deal.  Mostly curious about what Marion County will allow before I dive in to the specifics.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.  

Loading replies...