AC advice replacement advice

AC advice replacement advice

John T.Pro Member
Investor · East coast · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 16 votes

    I hope someone out there in Indianapolis can help me and have a good referral. My AC unit was stolen and now I have to find one to replace the stolen one and someone to install it. I guess I also should find someone that can install a cage. 

     The unit that I  had it was 2.0 tons, and the house is 1200sq/ft.  . Do you guys think that it should be enough with 2.0 Tons, or should I upgrade it and  install a 2.5 Tons instead? Any brand that you guys know that would be the best choice? 

     Thank you so much in advance, I hope I can fix this issue in the best possible way. It really sucks when things like that happen but I need to move forward and try to do the best research that I can.        

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2011 · 31 posts · 6 votes
5y

@John T. I'm sorry to hear the challenges you've gone through. I actually just had a new a/c condenser unit installed at my rental - inbox me for my POC who did a great job. In addition to replacing the unit, you'll want to install a concrete pad with a couple of rebar posts if a pad doesn't currently exist so you could lock down that thing.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 562 posts · 554 votes
    5y

    @Juan T.

    When you say your A/C unit was stolen, what specifically do you mean? I’m assuming you mean just the part that sits outside the house (the condenser unit)? It will have to be the same manufacturer as the “furnace” that is inside the house unless you plan to replace the whole thing.

    The A/C company should be able to tell you the appropriate size, but 2 tons seems about right to me off the cuff.

  • John T.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · East coast · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    Hey @Account Closed sorry for the confusion. Yes, it is the condenser unit what was stolen. 

    I do not have any A/C company yet. I was hoping someone could share a referral for the job. I was about to call one of those big companies in Indianapolis, but I read several posts against it, because they overprice those services. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 562 posts · 554 votes
    5y

    @Juan T.

    I don’t know any smaller companies off the top of my head. A good place to start is with the manufacturer you are trying to match for the inside part. You can go to their website and find all the authorized installers in the area.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2011 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @John T. I'm sorry to hear the challenges you've gone through. I actually just had a new a/c condenser unit installed at my rental - inbox me for my POC who did a great job. In addition to replacing the unit, you'll want to install a concrete pad with a couple of rebar posts if a pad doesn't currently exist so you could lock down that thing.

  • Lender · Manhattan Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 423 posts · 268 votes
    5y

    @John T. Reach out to Deputy Air

  • Rental Property Investor · IL · Member since 2015 · 165 posts · 107 votes
    5y

    Get input from your HVAC contractor but don't necessarily be sold on "bigger is better" in terms of the tonnage of the condensing unit. There are multiple factors that go into sizing the unit, square footage of the house being one, among others including location of return grille(s), ceiling heights, room sizes, etc. Knowing nothing else, 2 tons already sounds sufficient for a 1,200 sf house, but your contractor will be able to do a Manual J Calculation to correctly size the unit

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    You cannot change the size of the outside condenser without changing the inside A-coil. I would look at the condition of the inside unit and age to determine if a condenser only is the best way to go or a full system.

  • John T.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · East coast · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    Wow , I’m very impressed for the quality of answers given here . Thank you so much folks . I learned some important stuff in this posts .

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.