Advice &/or recommendations needed on a machinist workshop demo...

Advice &/or recommendations needed on a machinist workshop demo...

Investor · Hartwell, GA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 7 votes

Hello!

Backstory - we purchased a 3 bed 2 bath house that we remodeled and successfully rented out earlier this year. The gentleman who used to live there ran a machinist shop out back, which we essentially got for free in the purchase.

The rental essentially sits on one half of the lot and I have fenced that in, so that it is self contained. In the future, I would love to split the property and either sell or build on the other half.


My challenge sits in demo-ing the workshop before we move on with anything... Sounds easy, but it is a large 25 x 70' building that is full of at least 10 very large, very heavy machines. We're talking lathes, presses, mills. Each probably weighing at least 1, if not many tons, a piece. The shop has sat for at least 10 years and the roof is on its last legs, etc, etc. I always thought that I would sell of the machines or keep some for myself, but at this point I just want to move forward with developing the property further.


Can anyone offer any experience with where to start clearing somewhere like this out. I'd be happy to sell them for scrap value and have someone come and clean the whole place out, but I've no idea what kind of company might specialize in this.


Any thoughts would be appreciated.

0Reply
80 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10mo
Quote from @Brian Greenway:

Hello!

Backstory - we purchased a 3 bed 2 bath house that we remodeled and successfully rented out earlier this year. The gentleman who used to live there ran a machinist shop out back, which we essentially got for free in the purchase.

The rental essentially sits on one half of the lot and I have fenced that in, so that it is self contained. In the future, I would love to split the property and either sell or build on the other half.


My challenge sits in demo-ing the workshop before we move on with anything... Sounds easy, but it is a large 25 x 70' building that is full of at least 10 very large, very heavy machines. We're talking lathes, presses, mills. Each probably weighing at least 1, if not many tons, a piece. The shop has sat for at least 10 years and the roof is on its last legs, etc, etc. I always thought that I would sell of the machines or keep some for myself, but at this point I just want to move forward with developing the property further.


Can anyone offer any experience with where to start clearing somewhere like this out. I'd be happy to sell them for scrap value and have someone come and clean the whole place out, but I've no idea what kind of company might specialize in this.


Any thoughts would be appreciated.


 Manual machining equipment always has value, sometimes the older the better.

I'd start with getting on 1 of the machinist forums, there's a few, I'd link but not sure if its ok with BP. Im pretty sure you'll be able to sell them.

There's also equipment wholesalers, search a few ask some questions. 

Ill bet there's a FB group for machinist, a good chance the forums also have FB.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Brian Greenway:

    Hello!

    Backstory - we purchased a 3 bed 2 bath house that we remodeled and successfully rented out earlier this year. The gentleman who used to live there ran a machinist shop out back, which we essentially got for free in the purchase.

    The rental essentially sits on one half of the lot and I have fenced that in, so that it is self contained. In the future, I would love to split the property and either sell or build on the other half.


    My challenge sits in demo-ing the workshop before we move on with anything... Sounds easy, but it is a large 25 x 70' building that is full of at least 10 very large, very heavy machines. We're talking lathes, presses, mills. Each probably weighing at least 1, if not many tons, a piece. The shop has sat for at least 10 years and the roof is on its last legs, etc, etc. I always thought that I would sell of the machines or keep some for myself, but at this point I just want to move forward with developing the property further.


    Can anyone offer any experience with where to start clearing somewhere like this out. I'd be happy to sell them for scrap value and have someone come and clean the whole place out, but I've no idea what kind of company might specialize in this.


    Any thoughts would be appreciated.


     Manual machining equipment always has value, sometimes the older the better.

    I'd start with getting on 1 of the machinist forums, there's a few, I'd link but not sure if its ok with BP. Im pretty sure you'll be able to sell them.

    There's also equipment wholesalers, search a few ask some questions. 

    Ill bet there's a FB group for machinist, a good chance the forums also have FB.

  • Investor · Hartwell, GA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    10mo

    Thanks, Alan.

    Yes, I've definitely seen these. I'm in limbo as to whether it is worth my time or not. I've sold one of the lathes that was in there and it was really difficult (potentially dangerous) removing it with just leverage, jacks and hd moving trucks. I was hoping to find someone that would just come in and take care of everything, preferably with a forklift or something. I really have no idea how the old boy that ran the place got these things in 50 or 60 years ago. They are HUGE!!

    But thank you for your reply. You've rekindled my thoughts on selling them. I've inventoried what I have into a google drive file, so on your recommendation, I'll explore the facebook groups and forums a bit further. 

    Thank you.

    • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Brian Greenway:

      Thanks, Alan.

      Yes, I've definitely seen these. I'm in limbo as to whether it is worth my time or not. I've sold one of the lathes that was in there and it was really difficult (potentially dangerous) removing it with just leverage, jacks and hd moving trucks. I was hoping to find someone that would just come in and take care of everything, preferably with a forklift or something. I really have no idea how the old boy that ran the place got these things in 50 or 60 years ago. They are HUGE!!

      But thank you for your reply. You've rekindled my thoughts on selling them. I've inventoried what I have into a google drive file, so on your recommendation, I'll explore the facebook groups and forums a bit further. 

      Thank you.


       The companies that move that equipment are called triggers, people who buy these machines usually have relationships with them. Go to practical machinist & the other forums....if you're going to give them away, make rigging and drainage part of it. There's a huge market in flipping & retrofitting mills n lathes.

    • Investor · Hartwell, GA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 7 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Alan F.:
      Quote from @Brian Greenway:

      Thanks, Alan.

      Yes, I've definitely seen these. I'm in limbo as to whether it is worth my time or not. I've sold one of the lathes that was in there and it was really difficult (potentially dangerous) removing it with just leverage, jacks and hd moving trucks. I was hoping to find someone that would just come in and take care of everything, preferably with a forklift or something. I really have no idea how the old boy that ran the place got these things in 50 or 60 years ago. They are HUGE!!

      But thank you for your reply. You've rekindled my thoughts on selling them. I've inventoried what I have into a google drive file, so on your recommendation, I'll explore the facebook groups and forums a bit further. 

      Thank you.


       The companies that move that equipment are called triggers, people who buy these machines usually have relationships with them. Go to practical machinist & the other forums....if you're going to give them away, make rigging and drainage part of it. There's a huge market in flipping & retrofitting mills n lathes.


       Yes! Thank you, Alan. I think I would benefit by just breaking even, if they were to drain, remove, etc. Thank you for the input.

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10mo

    Is there enough for one of the local auction houses to market and sell? Even if you got a few $K but they handled the coordination and sale it seems like its worthwhile just to get it cleared out. Otherwise if you really wanted to go the scrap route, I'd look and find one of the local mid size scrap yards. Send them photos and see what they can do. They can likely make you an offer based on them sending a truck with a forklift and hauling it back to their yard. 

    • Investor · Hartwell, GA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 7 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Matt Devincenzo:

      Is there enough for one of the local auction houses to market and sell? Even if you got a few $K but they handled the coordination and sale it seems like its worthwhile just to get it cleared out. Otherwise if you really wanted to go the scrap route, I'd look and find one of the local mid size scrap yards. Send them photos and see what they can do. They can likely make you an offer based on them sending a truck with a forklift and hauling it back to their yard. 


       Thanks, Matt. I was stuck on Machine specialists, of which I know none of in my area. However, there are a few auctioneers that do farm equipment, etc. I could reach out to them. Thanks for the input.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.