Paperwork with contractor

8 Replies

What paperwork do you exchange with a contractor when signing a contract?? Contract, W-9??, license n insurance info. What else?????? Thx

I think you hit most of them on the head if he is more of a handy man he may not have a contractor lic such as a painter,carpet person or single trade other than mechanical

Here is what I would suggest:

1. W-9

2. Contractor agreement

3. A signed Quote for all work to be done

4. Release of lein

5. Builders licence

6. Insurance information

a check at the end of the job. i am terrible at paperwork before or after working with them.

Here you go:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2010/04/07...

Thanks everybody. Question about the lien waiver. My contractor bailed without doing enough work he had been paid for and had subbed out an electrician. He paid the electrician $3,100 of the $3,600 that was due. Now the electrician wants his remaining $500 or he said he will put a lien on the house. Is their anything I could have done to prevent this? Other than get a better GC of course. J Scott

Just to clarify, the contractor's proof of insurance should not come directly from the contractor! Require your contractor to contact the insurance agent or insurance company and have the insurer issues a certificate of insurance directly to you with you being named as the certificate holder.

Originally posted by @Eric Armstrong :

Thanks everybody. Question about the lien waiver. My contractor bailed without doing enough work he had been paid for and had subbed out an electrician. He paid the electrician $3,100 of the $3,600 that was due. Now the electrician wants his remaining $500 or he said he will put a lien on the house. Is their anything I could have done to prevent this? Other than get a better GC of course. J Scott

Make sure your GC is providing lien waivers from the subs as well.  If he's not, you need to pay the subs directly (and then get a lien waiver from them).

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here