First flip opinions needed!

13 Replies

Hi all,

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a property at auction! The finally cost after auctioneer fees and closing was $63,800. All new HVAC and roof. The repairs seem to be mostly cosmetic and I would like to stay under 75k. I need opinions on a few repairs:

1. The hardwood floors appear to be salvageable, but if not would you recommend a nice laminate throughout the home? Or laminate in living room/bedrooms and tile in bath/kitchen? 

2. Exterior needs painted and the landscaping has grown out of hand. Should I consider pulling out shrubs surrounding house and put mulch or rock down and plant new plants? Or should I just trim shrubs to save on cost and deal with the less appealing look? Any paint scheme suggestions?

3. The basement is the best part of the home but half is carpet half is concrete. Should I go with a stained concrete or pull up current carpet and relay new carpet? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated 

Excuse my grammatical errors..I was too excited to post about my first purchase! 

Congrats on your purchase!  What do you plan on selling it for?  I would not skimp on curb appeal. The house is cute just no pizazz with that color scheme. Unfortunately I stink a picking colors and spend A LOT of time on houzz.com looking a styles of home and color schemes and copy what I like :). I agree with Ned; definitely refinish hardwood floors. I tend to over do on flips so take my recommendations for what they are worth, but I believe you should do what you would want as a home buyer of the house. It would help to see what the inside looks like. What do other houses in the area look like?  

Again congrats!

Medium bc bKatie Neason, Renovation Wranglers | [email protected]

@Jordan Richardson  Congrats on your first flip! That is exciting!!

I would keep the original hardwood and refinish if at all possible, you can even repair bad spots. Original hardwood is a big selling feature, so try to keep it.

For the exterior:

I would get rid of the awnings, they definitely date the house. Then I would trim the bushes, clean up the beds, add mulch and some flowers for color. Then for exterior colors...I pulled some options for you below. I stayed with classic colors that will give the house a modern look and will go well with the colors that you have outside( the bushes and brick). I would definitely change the door color, it will brighten up the house.

However before you commit to any color, I would get samples and paint small sections on the house and go from there. The last thing you want to do is buy a bunch of paint that you don't like. 

For the basement I would do luxury vinyl tile that replicate wood floors. In my opinion its best for basements, easy to lay and they have great color options, they are soft on the feet and not cold and hard like concrete or tile. Also if the basement floods or anything happens they are easy to replace.

Again congrats!!

Nicole

P.S The last swatch I pulled, I just like the Suede and Brass

Nicole Pettis, Novu Capital Investments | [email protected] | 614.638.8635

Awesome! Great looking house. I would pull the bushes and go with something smaller maybe replace the wood trim on the brick pathway and paint the outside and ditch the awnings!!
I

Basically everything that @Nicole Pettis said so much better than I did, and posted while I was typing up mine... Thanks for stealing my thunder Nicole!

Looks like you hit a home run. Great job. Definitely lose the window coverings. If the paint is not peeling and it looks good up close, leave it. Trim the bushes as small as you can and cut out the wild growing stuff that is not landscaping. Original hardwood looks best with all the scratches and dents, just make the color even throughout. Inexpensive stainless appliances are an easy upgrade. Lowe's will deliver. Put nice faucets on the sinks. If your ceiling fans are old brass looking, disassemble them and paint the parts with a metallic nickel spray paint. They will look new. Have fun and I hope you make a million bucks!

@Nicole Pettis l actually just painted a house I'm flipping the BM Sandy Hook Gray color you suggested. My tile designer, who I use for picking out anything involving color matching, suggested it. I used bright white for trim and black for shutters and doors. Came out excellent.

As everyone else has suggested, I would definitely lose the window awnings. I would suggest ripping out all the bushes and planting new ones. I like the look fresh mulch and well placed plants at all my flips. My first couple flips I tried to salvage whatever I could and added color where needed, but I think the end result isn't as nice as starting fresh. So for the extra $500 it buy and plant new bushes and flowers, I think it's money well spent. Curb appeal is the first thing potential buyers see when pulling up to the house. I always like "wow" factors.

Nicole Pettis l actually just painted a house I'm flipping the BM Sandy Hook Gray color you suggested. My tile designer, who I use for picking out anything involving color matching, suggested it. I used bright white for trim and black for shutters and doors. Came out excellent.

@Jordan Richardson As everyone else has suggested, I would definitely lose the window awnings. I would suggest ripping out all the bushes and planting new ones. I like the look fresh mulch and well placed plants at all my flips. My first couple flips I tried to salvage whatever I could and added color where needed, but I think the end result isn't as nice as starting fresh. So for the extra $500 it buy and plant new bushes and flowers, I think it's money well spent. Curb appeal is the first thing potential buyers see when pulling up to the house. I always like "wow" factors.

As for the hardwood floors, i would definitely refinish them. I have refinished some seriously questionable floors and they have all come out great and buyers love them.

As a tile guy, I would put tile down in the basement. Carpeting in the basement always seems like moldy mess to me, not a fan of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions @Nicole Pettis  @Katie Neason  @Kyle Samuel  @Anthony Dooley  @Brandon Luke  ! I have decided to go light sage green with dove white accents. The awnings have to go along with all shrubs. I have a landscaping crew coming out this week to lay rock and plant new shrubs. Unfortunately the original hardwood floors were beyond repair so I'm installing vinyl plank throughout kitchen/dining/living room and basement, carpet in both bedrooms, luxury vinyl tile in bathroom. I will post before/after pics of interior and exterior once completed! 

Hey, @Jordan Richardson  

How did your Vinyl plank floors worked out to you? I have a flip that I want them installed. Would you recommend?

I was able to save the hardwood floors. Also ended up keeping the property for my wife and I to live in. Here is a before and after of the floors.