Any Tips on Writing a MLS Listing with 100 Characters or Less...

13 Replies

Does anyone else have a similar constraint with their MLS?

As with any copy, hit features in descending order, from best to last.  Break it up into sound bites.

Gorgeously remodeled home.  All new kitchen!  Cherry cabinets, granite counter tops, stainless appliances....new windows...new roof.  Yada, yada.

Yes, I have similiar constraint.

Focus on mentioning any improvements if there are any, if there aren't then just hit on the things that will get the house sold. Large bedrooms, eat-in kitchen, finished basement, double lot etc. 

Big ticket items 1st. Lots of pictures.

JUST DNT USE 2 MNY ABBRVS, I H8T THT

Don't know if it's considered good or not, but my wife sells a lot of houses, and here's the copy she wrote for our latest flip listing:

GORGEOUS renovation w/ upgrades galore- EVERYTHING'S BRAND NEW! Bright, airy floor plan w/ architectural details throughout. NEW GOURMET KITCHEN w/cherry cab's, GRANITE, stainless steel appliances. NEWLY-FINISHED, beautiful hardwood floors on main level, new tile baths, inspired designer touches everywhere. AWESOME MASTER SUITE w/huge walk-in closet. Lovely corner lot. IMMACULATE, move in & enjoy!

Most of our listings follow this model -- start with the word "Gorgeous", get the finish details in there, capitalize the important stuff, using basic abbreviations (w/ = with, etc), throw in a few superlatives, etc.

100 characters.  I guess Realtors would call that a "cozy" description.

Oh wow...I read that as 100 WORDS, not 100 characters...

Sorry...my reply above probably wasn't very helpful...

@J Scott No...you are correct. It is 100 words...my bad.

@J Scott  J, Are there any constraints on capitalizing...I like the concept.

Originally posted by @Brandon Sturgill:

@J Scott  J, Are there any constraints on capitalizing...I like the concept.

I don't imagine the MLS has any restrictions. In general, don't go overboard. Pick the top half-dozen words that you want to stand out and capitalize those. No rules...just make it sound irresistible... :)

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.