Insurance for flipping

Insurance for flipping

Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes

What type of insurance do you all recommend for short term real estate holding and construction. Liability, etc? Also how do you generally hold title? LLC?

Our plan is to flip and only hold for 4-6 months.

3Reply
420 views

Most Popular Reply

Jason BottPro Member
Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

@Kyle B. 

The vacant building policy is an option, but it is not ideal for flipping.  A vacant policy typically excludes the following,

  • Vandalism
  • Building glass breakage
  • Water damage
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Sprinkler leakage (unless the insured has protected the building against freezing)
  • A builders risk policy will typically cover these perils.

    An added coverage the Builders risk covers is  "Property in Transit".  Think of picking up windows or cabinets form Home Depot and then getting into an auto accident.  Damage to the windows and cabinets would be covered.  The typical limit for "Property in Transit" is usually $10,000 or $25,000.

    Hope this helps

    See this reply in the discussion

    72 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 515 votes
      11y

      @Jeff S. NREI has monthly premiums. 

    • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
      9y

      Does anyone have contact info for NREI? Google turns up nothing.

    • Real Estate Agent · Depew, NY · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 8 votes
      9y

      @Jason Bott Does this program still exist?  Found this thread through a google search for "Flip insurance".  

    • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      9y
      Originally posted by @Didi Siani:

      @Katie Neason 

      I'm a flipper in South Florida doing 70 flips a year.

      I need an insurance too.

      Please PM me :)

       Still flipping in South Florida? Would love to connect.

    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9y

      @Matthew Marini, it is thriving.  I will PM you the info.

    • Real Estate Investor · New Britain, CT · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
      9y

      @Jason Bott Can you please send me that info as well if you have it.  I have read through this thread and am interested in getting more info.

      Thanks.

    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9y
      Originally posted by @Shawn V.:

      @Jason Bott Can you please send me that info as well if you have it.  I have read through this thread and am interested in getting more info.

      Thanks.

      Not a problem.  I'm sending over now.

    • Investor · OH · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes
      9y
      May I please also be placed on your list to receive information? I am about to list my first flip and want to be prepared going forward. Thank you!
    • Tony WooldridgePro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
      9y

      @Jason Bott it appears that you have a hot item.  Would you mind adding me to the list as well.  Thanks for your consideration to this matter!

    • Tony WooldridgePro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
      9y

      Anybody used REIGuard?  Thanks ahead of time for the info!

    • Real Estate Agent · Depew, NY · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 8 votes
      9y

      Looking into REIGuard is definitely worth the time.  Great support staff and communication, easy to understand proposals and quotes.  Insurance for Flipping and Buy & Hold projects.  I highly recommend contacting Jason Bott to get started.

      I've spent a lot of time shopping insurance options locally and you really need to find an agent or company that understands this business.  You can have a real conversation with these people about what you do and they actually understand.  They understand Vacant, In Renovation, Occupied, etc....they make it super easy to change between them, it's billed monthly, and the policy also includes general liability coverage, I haven't come across this comprehensive of a plan yet.  

      @Brandon Turner - We really need a podcast to discuss insurance needs, requirements, and options.  This is something so many newbies and experienced investors are still struggling with.

    • Flipper · Montverde, FL · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
      9y
      Originally posted by @Jason Bott:

      @Matthew Marini, it is thriving.  I will PM you the info.

       @Jason Bott Please PM me this info also.  Thanks

    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9y

      @Pete Pucci I just emailed over to you.

      @Tony Wooldridge I just sent over

      @Matthew Marini I'm glad I could help with pointing you in the right direction for the flipping program and help with the rest of your business insurance.  I'm confident we can find some good options.  thanks again for the opportunity!

    • Tony WooldridgePro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
      9y

      @Matthew Marini I completely agree with your assessment of REIGuard.  They certainly seem so much more educated on the investor side of insuring houses.  I believe I am going to use them with my up and coming 1st Rehab.  

      @Jason Bott thank you Sir, I got your colleague request and wanted to thank you for the info as well as your help!

    • Rental Property Investor · Broken Arrow, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9y

      @Tony Wooldridge I've been using REIGuard for all my properties now since discovering them about 6 months ago.  Best discovery ever since started investing.  They've saved me a ton of money, and simplify the process.  I love how they put all your properties into one invoice, and send it to you early in the month with reminder to make any changes for that month.  This saves so much time, and prevents you from paying for properties you've sold, or reminds you to swap properties to occupied, etc.

    • Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes
      9y
      Originally posted by @Matthew Marini:

      Looking into REIGuard is definitely worth the time.  Great support staff and communication, easy to understand proposals and quotes.  Insurance for Flipping and Buy & Hold projects.  I highly recommend contacting Jason Bott to get started.

      I've spent a lot of time shopping insurance options locally and you really need to find an agent or company that understands this business.  You can have a real conversation with these people about what you do and they actually understand.  They understand Vacant, In Renovation, Occupied, etc....they make it super easy to change between them, it's billed monthly, and the policy also includes general liability coverage, I haven't come across this comprehensive of a plan yet.  

      @Brandon Turner - We really need a podcast to discuss insurance needs, requirements, and options.  This is something so many newbies and experienced investors are still struggling with.

      I agree Matthew. There's a lot of discussion about liability LLCs incorporating, then the whole insurance vs LLC debates.

      I guess this all falls under asset protection.  

      What do the Renovation insurance rates run on typical $500k SFR in Southern California?

      I'd assume some hard money lenders would recommend or require this sort of insurance on a rehab/flip?

    • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 96 posts · 26 votes
      9y

      @Jason Bott  would you email me the insurance info as well.  Would like to get more info on that.  I'm here in CA.  Thanks.   

    • Real Estate Investor · Chapel Hill, NC · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 10 votes
      9y
      Jason Bott - I am interested in your insurance program for flipping. Will be starting a new project in a few weeks! Please pm me! Thanks!
    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9y

      @Yia Her & @Elizabeth Moore, I sent via PM.  Good luck on the projects!

    • Investor · Tybee Island, GA · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 1 vote
      9y

      @Jason Bott When you get a chance, I would like the insurance program for flipping. thank you in advance.

    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9y

      @Luis Acevedo sending over now. 

    • Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 63 votes
      9y

      NREIG / REI Guard is the best option nationwide. Haven't found anyone that beats their policies. I use them exclusively for all my deals. http://nreig.com/

    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9y

      @Account Closed They are a good option and one of many I offer my clients. 

    • Investor · Howey in the Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 376 posts · 114 votes
      8y

      NREI does not offer named storm coverage - important for those of us in hurricane areas. Their product seemed perfect for me until I found that out.

    • Hazlet, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
      8y

      @Jason Bott - I am also interested in your insurance program for flipping. We will be starting a new business in the near future and would like additional information. Thank You.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.