Insurance for flipping

Insurance for flipping

Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes

What type of insurance do you all recommend for short term real estate holding and construction. Liability, etc? Also how do you generally hold title? LLC?

Our plan is to flip and only hold for 4-6 months.

3Reply
494 views

Most Popular Reply

Jason BottPro Member
Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

@Kyle B. 

The vacant building policy is an option, but it is not ideal for flipping.  A vacant policy typically excludes the following,

  • Vandalism
  • Building glass breakage
  • Water damage
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Sprinkler leakage (unless the insured has protected the building against freezing)
  • A builders risk policy will typically cover these perils.

    An added coverage the Builders risk covers is  "Property in Transit".  Think of picking up windows or cabinets form Home Depot and then getting into an auto accident.  Damage to the windows and cabinets would be covered.  The typical limit for "Property in Transit" is usually $10,000 or $25,000.

    Hope this helps

    See this reply in the discussion

    72 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      8y

      @John Razz I'll send you some info now.  Good luck in your new venture!

    • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 3 votes
      8y
      Would u add that insurance even if it’s for 1 month?
    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      8y

      @Carol Birnberg are you asking if it can be done or if you should have the flip insured if it's just for 1 month?

      1) Yes, you can buy coverage for 30-60 days

      2)  Insuring a property is up to each investor, but if there is some financing involved, it will be required.

      I'd say 99% of flippers buy coverage for the property no matter what length of time.  You are risking a total loss of your investment, plus more $ to clean up the site, to save $50.

    • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 3 votes
      8y

      u answered my question. Thanks.  

    • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 3 votes
      8y
      1. & pls send me inf about the insurance. I am pulling the trigger......so i rather have insurance as well
    • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 3 votes
      8y

      ohh pls send me your inf to check on rates for insurance . 

    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      8y

      @Carol Birnberg sending now.

    • Investor · West Orange, NJ · Member since 2017 · 85 posts · 37 votes
      8y
      Send it to me as well please!
    • Wakefield, RI · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 3 votes
      8y

      I am starting a flip in RI and my regular insurance broker is not reponding. Can you send me info please? Thanks

    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      8y

      @Stefano Grottoli & @Francois Martin I'll send over now.

    • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 4 votes
      8y

      @Jason Bott - I am interested in the program. Can you please send me the info? Thank you!

    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      8y

      @Judy Hao I'll send over now. 

    • Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 7 votes
      8y

      @Jason Bott

      May I get that insurance info as well?  Thank you so much, Jason!

    • Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 7 votes
      8y

      @Jason Bott

      May I get that insurance info as well? Thank you so much, Jason!

    • Jason BottPro Member
      Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      8y

      @Joo Park no problem. I'll PM you

    • Flipper/Rehabber · Highlands County · Member since 2017 · 87 posts · 33 votes
      8y

      Hi Jason,

      Can you PM the NREI information?

      Thank you,

    • Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 2 votes
      8y
      @jason bott can you also PM me the info about the NREI program? Thanks in advance!
    • New to Real Estate · Pottstown, PA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
      8y

      I know this is an old thread but would love the contact info if you don't mind sharing?

    • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 35 votes
      8y

      Anybody tried Foremost? NREI is kinda expensive on larger higher end properties, especially ones that do not require extensive rehab.

    • Joseph ODonovanPro Member
      Property Manager · Ridley, PA · Member since 2017 · 427 posts · 449 votes
      8y
      @Ryan Steiner I have my first flip under contract. I got a Builders Risk policy from Snyder & Moore Agency in Exton, PA. My contact person was Kevin Roache. Don't have his contact info at my fingertips but just google the company name. Good luck!
    • New to Real Estate · Pottstown, PA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
      8y

      Thanks, Joseph! I appreciate it!

    • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes
      8y

      Jason, I have my first property under contract and expect to close at the end of this week. Can you please send the information as well? I have contacted a rep at NREI and they offered me a builders risk policy and what they sent did not include theft. 

      I'm looking for property coverage, theft coverage and liability coverage and I thought they offered all three. Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions or not speaking with the righ person.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.