Rehab Cost Comparison

6 Replies

The property I am looking to flip is based in central FL.  I have run the numbers and this is what I am getting for the items listed below.  I have only had a single quote for each so far, but want to know if the quotes look ok or can I do much better.

FLOORING: This involves getting rid of the old tile (2100 sq ft) and carpet (1100 sq ft) and laying new ones.  The tile will be replaced by wood vinyl (and tile in a few places) and carpet with carpet.

LABOR COST: $7500

KITCHEN: 

Cabinet including island: This will require 12 ft of cabinetry.

MATERIAL + LABOR: $5250

Granite counter tops: 75 sq ft

MATERIAL + LABOR: $3600

PAINT: Interior + Exterior (3400 sq ft, 2 story home).  This will include new baseboards, full inside paint job, caulking etc.  The outside would include sealing as well as pressure washing, followed by a paint job.  Basically, everything will be covered.

LABOR COST: Interior: $2100; Exterior: $2200

MATERIAL: $1900 (paint for interior and exterior)

A/C UNITS: 2 units are required.

LABOR + MATERIAL: $4750 EACH ($9500 for the pair)

Son just did a full rehab on a house for me in Central Florida.  He doesn't hang out here so I sent him your question and here's what he said:

"My cost to paint would be $7650(1.25 sq ft inside/ 1$ outside), u can expect 3$ish sqft flooring depending on materials types, cabinets range from about 3800$- to nearly 20k installed for a set. And ask Lowe's what rock cost per Sq ft I don't remember but that price 3k ish sounded about right to me. [Note, he had a painting business in Central Florida years before he started working with me - his cost would include paint as well as labor- and he knows a lot of trades people]

When we hunted ac for (my 2nd) house, prices were 3300 to 4700$. We got the same deal for 1800$.

Is installing base and trim work coming with the floors? Who's doing that and where is the cost. I could think of several more detail items missing in his cost analysis.

Backsplash and cabinet handles to name a couple."

hope that helps

Originally posted by @Sam Alpha :

The property I am looking to flip is based in central FL.  I have run the numbers and this is what I am getting for the items listed below.  I have only had a single quote for each so far, but want to know if the quotes look ok or can I do much better.

FLOORING: This involves getting rid of the old tile (2100 sq ft) and carpet (1100 sq ft) and laying new ones.  The tile will be replaced by wood vinyl (and tile in a few places) and carpet with carpet.

LABOR COST: $7500

KITCHEN: 

Cabinet including island: This will require 12 ft of cabinetry.

MATERIAL + LABOR: $5250

Granite counter tops: 75 sq ft

MATERIAL + LABOR: $3600

PAINT: Interior + Exterior (3400 sq ft, 2 story home).  This will include new baseboards, full inside paint job, caulking etc.  The outside would include sealing as well as pressure washing, followed by a paint job.  Basically, everything will be covered.

LABOR COST: Interior: $2100; Exterior: $2200

MATERIAL: $1900 (paint for interior and exterior)

A/C UNITS: 2 units are required.

LABOR + MATERIAL: $4750 EACH ($9500 for the pair)

You might want to connect with people around in your neighborhood. (within 1-2hr driving is fine).  Cost can be pretty different in different parts in the country.

Originally posted by @Che Chiu Wong :
You might want to connect with people around in your neighborhood. (within 1-2hr driving is fine).  Cost can be pretty different in different parts in the country.

That is very true.  Ideally, I should have put in the term Orlando somewhere in the title or the post. I'm hoping this will trigger the alert feature.

Thanks Che!

I was able to get a quote for the kitchen/bath that I seem comfortable with.  It includes removal of cabinets and install of new cabinets with granite counter tops and includes the island in the kitchen along with 3 bathrooms.  Note, that this is only for the cabinets and counter tops and does not include the flooring.

QUOTE: $9750 inclusive of labor and material

In regards to the A/C, would it be best for me to see if I can salvage/get them fixed or is it better to get new ones considering that the age is around 18 years old?

@Sam Alpha

Buy new A/C's, but shop around. You will find a great deal eventually if you call around and tell them the exact tonnage you need.

Also, Can you not lay the laminate on top of the tile? It will be much more cost effective if there isnt huge grout lines to mess up the flow. 

@Justin Stamper it's interesting that you mention laying flooring on top of flooring.  For the most part, it is not possible with most materials esp if it is over tile.  However, the new wood VINYLS are the ones that tend to be the most forgiving and one can get away with laying it on tile as well, due to it's thinness.  

We are most probably going to go with that material as it should save us about $3500 - 5000 in demo costs.  At the very most, we will have to pour a thin layer of concrete, if the leveling is too out of place.

Would you have any suggestions for investor friendly companies that sell A/C units at a decent price?

Thanks,

Sam

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here