Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 807 posts · 475 votes
I hired two professional tilers to tile one of my properties.
Their quote was $500 more than another estimate I received but I felt like they were professionals who I could trust to do a good job.
Indeed they have been reliable and professional in conduct, so I've been satisfied from that perspective. I was going to give them a massive project after this but now I'm hesitant after seeing the shoddy work.
The job is almost done and I've inspected it and it's some of the worst tiling work I've seen.
Firstly there is meant to be a pattern maintained and the pattern has been abandoned. Every second tile is meant to line up however it's completely freestyle.
There are huge gaps in various areas and some tiles are crooked.
I messaged the tilers when I saw this and he said the gaps and crooked tiles were caused from foot traffic by other contractors. I don't know the validity of this claim.
I'm extremely disappointed and upset and I want to rip it up and have it redone properly but I don't have the time or budget for that.
Here are some pictures. Am I being over the top or is this poor workmanship? Do I have any other choice but to simply move on?
Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
10y
@Nat C. That's just a bad tile job...much beyond being caused by premature foot traffic. If you want it to look nice, you'll have to start over. I would not use them on any other projects.
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but, ultimately you are responsible for the final finished product on your projects. Saying that you have neither the time nor budget to correct this or produce good work in the first place, is unacceptable and unprofessional on your part.
It is worth the effort and money to find and use true professional tradesmen.
It seems that you have received great feed back. I have a couple of comments to re-enforce.
I work at a reputable Countertop & Tile showroom in Oregon. I am the Designer and sales person. @Jay Hinrichs We always charge 50% up front - this keeps customers from walking after materials have been ordered and labor performed. However, we are much more lenient with contractors that we have worked with on a regular basis. However, the last 50% is not due till the job is complete and the customer is happy.
That is the worst tile job I have seen in over 10 years in this industry. Yes ALWAYS put tile over backerboard - it is for the stability of the project - never leave it to the next owner to deal with "later down the line" as someone suggested. I replace those tile jobs every month.
For your next contractor hire - ALWAYS make sure they are licensed and bonded ....and CHECK their accuracy - don't just take a lic # from them and assume it is good. Check insurance and bonding always listing yourself as "additional insured". This protects you and should be expected from any reputable contractor.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
10y
@Laureen Youngblood good point I only know how they deal with us.. but your right we are building multiple homes a year and spend probably at least 500k a year with this one shop.... but they also hire the cheapest installers so we have to watch them like a hawk and they make boo boo's constantly ... to the point I often start shopping for another company.
Wholesaler · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
10y
I feel your pain and yes you have been duped. You could of done a better job yourself by following a u-tube video. That's the WORST tile job by a "contractor" I've ever seen, hands down the worst! I'm shocked that someone can look at that and feel like they did a good job.
You have 3 choices 1) tear it up and redo 2) get it fixed by a good tiler 3) cover it with a floating laminate or similar product. Sorry and good luck
I hired two professional tilers to tile one of my properties.
Their quote was $500 more than another estimate I received but I felt like they were professionals who I could trust to do a good job.
yes, this is terrible. my only concern is that you have had so many issues with different properties (like the AC debacle) that i wonder if you are just repeating your mistakes or there is an underlying problem elsewhere with how you do business.
(...) I think , in this instance you should go to court. It will be good education for you and a good remembrance for the future.
(...)
( If they should happen to want to fix it you can hire someone to watch over them.)
(...) I cannot see how you would not get your total money back
(...) Do not forget to write letters to the licensing board, city licensing dept, and any one else you can think of.
(...) I've never been to claims court so I have some research to do.
(...) I will definitely engage a professional photographer to take a few details pictures.
Hi Nat -
I understand you are frustrated beyond all belief - I would be too! It's simply amazing what some folks think they can get away with.
It's also understandable that you want to remedy the situation in some way. It's a natural reaction, and it's even healthy. But here, you have a situation that started out badly, and the chances of it resolving well (ie to your satisfaction) are less than zero.
Think about it for a second.
You have a valid claim, and you have only one option for recourse - Small Claims.
To prepare for Small Claims, you are proposing to spend additional time and money to engage even more folks (tile witnesses, a photographer, etc), as well as spending your time in various lines, filling out lots of forms, dealing with surly court personnel, teaching yourself court procedure, losing some (lots of?) sleep, worrying about this every few minutes for weeks, and a lot more (I forget the rest, but trust me, there's plenty more.)
Yes, *all* of the above *will* happen regardless of whether you win or lose.
Now, you get to court, and the fun begins. It's loud, and very smelly, and the judge is (usually) pissed at the world. You have to listen to everyone's various Twitter wars, pseudo-defamation claims, back yard plant disputes and more. You *will* lose IQ points during this period.
Let's say everything goes swimmingly. (I know, I have been drinking heavily this am, but please bear with me and my delusions). You get your favorable verdict, you're feeling awesome, and... you are informed that no one will help you collect your shiny new judgment. In fact, you have to begin an entire new round of paperwork, line-standing, surly clerk lectures, law-splainin' and more.
It gets even better after this (ie more paperwork and procedures) but I am getting carpal tunnel and I should go now.
@k marie poe is right - and not just about your shoes! There is nothing here for you, and you won't even get sued by them for not paying the remainder. Can you picture this gent filling out a court form (with anything other that grout)?
Trust the hive mind here - it's best to get it re-done, and move on with your more profitable ventures!
I've never been to claims court so I have some research to do. If they allow it I would like to do a walk through video to show how the pattern/layout changes constantly and to show the waves. The tiles are also not flat and if you slide your hand/foot across the floor there are constant edges sticking up from the ground. It's hard to see how bad it is using an iphone camera and I will definitely engage a professional photographer to take a few details pictures.
It's funny to read people's comments here because the pictures I posted don't even show many of the problems.
Be prepared if you are not allowed to show a video. One option is a whole bunch of photographs (hard copy and on a USB) with one sentence or two small sentences (ex. 2nd fl bath, west wall. Two inch gap."). Don't get too wordy. I don't know if you need a professional photographer, don't spend any more money on this (except for the money to redo this mess). You can illustrate uneven tiles with a straight ruler to provide context.
That was not done by foot traffic at all specially the one with "Pattern change".
I am also in the Miami area. I got lucky and got a few contractors I work and they done good jobs for me. Also, if they went and put it directly against the wood that tile will pop out in no time. Tinsel does not stick well to wood. Are those guy license ?
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
Mother of...That has to be the worst tile job I've ever seen. You could have probably done a better job yourself, were these guys drunk?
I too suspect you found them on CL, which I am learning is just awful for finding contractors. Almost all of them are unlicensed and many seem to have substance problems. If you can get them to show up.
Lender · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2009 · 825 posts · 486 votes
10y
I certainly would NOT consider these contractors for your "massive" job unless and until they corrected this project to your satisfaction (doubtful since you paid them already) .... even if they have to work overnight to complete the job the way that it should have been done in the first place.
If they won't correct the problem, find other contractors.
As mentioned, word of mouth and social media are your friends in this situation.
Killeen, TX · Member since 2015 · 85 posts · 60 votes
10y
Ugh! That is really poor workmanship. It almost looks like they didn't use spacers. I'd take the contractors to small claims court if you have already paid them. For me, I have a very small circle of contractors I use. I don't let any new people in. I learned this lesson the hard way.
Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
10y
I would like to add , the peple who did this work were not " contractors" . They had no license , probably no insurance , I believe it was said they formed a LLC . This means nothing . There was no contract . These guys are what give real contractors a bad rap . Its a shame she got ripped off , but this is a example of penny wise and dollar foolish .
I would like to add , the peple who did this work were not " contractors" . They had no license , probably no insurance , I believe it was said they formed a LLC . This means nothing . There was no contract . These guys are what give real contractors a bad rap . Its a shame she got ripped off , but this is a example of penny wise and dollar foolish .
Matthew, thank you for your feedback, although I might say that it's not right to state facts that aren't correct, especially when you were not there. How do you know there wasn't a contract?
I never hire anyone without a contractor agreement.
Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 807 posts · 475 votes
10y
I also never hire anyone without taking a copy of their ID, seeing pictures of their work and calling 2 previous clients.
I feel the latter two can be forged though as they can produce pictures which don't belong to them and have their girlfriend and cousin provide a reference.
I also never hire anyone without taking a copy of their ID, seeing pictures of their work and calling 2 previous clients.
I feel the latter two can be forged though as they can produce pictures which don't belong to them and have their girlfriend and cousin provide a reference.
Wait. You talked to two previous clients who recommended this contractor?
Washington, DC · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 1 vote
10y
Anyone who charges 2.00 a SF is likely to do a horrible job. National average is 6-8 for floors and 9-12 for walls, and in more expensive markets where the cost of living is high, this base rises in proportion.
I hired two professional tilers to tile one of my properties.
Their quote was $500 more than another estimate I received but I felt like they were professionals who I could trust to do a good job.
Indeed they have been reliable and professional in conduct, so I've been satisfied from that perspective. I was going to give them a massive project after this but now I'm hesitant after seeing the shoddy work.
The job is almost done and I've inspected it and it's some of the worst tiling work I've seen.
Firstly there is meant to be a pattern maintained and the pattern has been abandoned. Every second tile is meant to line up however it's completely freestyle.
There are huge gaps in various areas and some tiles are crooked.
I messaged the tilers when I saw this and he said the gaps and crooked tiles were caused from foot traffic by other contractors. I don't know the validity of this claim.
I'm extremely disappointed and upset and I want to rip it up and have it redone properly but I don't have the time or budget for that.
Here are some pictures. Am I being over the top or is this poor workmanship? Do I have any other choice but to simply move on?
Hi! My name is Micheal Lee and I have been in construction for about 40 years and I have seen most of it. I was even in the wood and tile business when I had a stroke. This looks pretty bad and I don not blame you for wanting to redo it. It will cost as much as 1 to 2 dollars per square foot to do the demo. Just hope that you still owe them something of their's to uswe. You can get better, good luck!
retired...going stir crazy · Andover, MA · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 5 votes
10y
Nat! What are going to do? we would love nothing better than trust someone ...that can only be done with the very, very few ...the bad guys are everywhere involving any business ...whether by intent or indifference to what is right, or by profound ignorance. Capitalism by it's nature is darwinian to a greater extant... look at your cable bills or your cell phone bills or any company you deal with ...you think a good faith bargain exists in those monopolistic cartels. Nat if you're in business you need good legal protection... start there, get even
I would like to add , the peple who did this work were not " contractors" . They had no license , probably no insurance , I believe it was said they formed a LLC . This means nothing . There was no contract . These guys are what give real contractors a bad rap . Its a shame she got ripped off , but this is a example of penny wise and dollar foolish .
Matthew, thank you for your feedback, although I might say that it's not right to state facts that aren't correct, especially when you were not there. How do you know there wasn't a contract?
I never hire anyone without a contractor agreement.
Well a true contractor would have given you a contract with all his information ,including his license number scope of work , all the job details . A contractors agreement is a paper that basically stated the person performing the work is not an employee . Its unfortunate you got taken , small claims court may be an option , I would look into the agency that licenses contractors.
I also never hire anyone without taking a copy of their ID, seeing pictures of their work and calling 2 previous clients.
Hi Nat - @Account Closed was curious if you had actually spoken to the two references you wrote about earlier - I am also curious about what happened there. Were the references convincing enough for you to hire them? What were the photos they showed you... ie did it look like professional work when you saw the pix?
Investor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2012 · 588 posts · 224 votes
10y
I didn't read every single post here. What kind of house is this? High end, low end, flip, rental?
How does it look with grout. I've seen some bad tile jobs before that seemed a little less crappy after it was grouted. If you really looked at it you could tell tiles were off, but unless you really looked close you wouldn't notice.
I'd step back and imagine this area staged and doing some things to bring your eye some where else. Does it still look as bad?