Enclosed porch part of square footage?

16 Replies

@Priscilla Z. Yes @Katie Neason is right. You need heating and cooling and for it to be up to the building code in your city/county to be considered square footage. 

If it is just for your own usage just make sure it is permitted to do so then do what you need to do and do not register it with the city until you are ready to sell it so you can avoid a higher taxation and re-assessment of taxes. 

If you're enclosing it as a fix and flip then register it with the city and get the final inspections done so on title you will get the increased square footage bump where you can list it on the MLS with the high Square footage and ultimately make more money.

Thank you to all that replied. It seems as though it was already done with a permit since it comes up as enclosed porch on the property appraiser website. It has heat and cool and looks just like the rest of the house. For resale purposes before I go through with the house I just wanted to make sure that if I sell it FHA the appraiser will count it as square footage so I know what comps to use.

@Priscilla Z.

You don't need cooling!  If you did every house without central air would have zero square feet.

The space has to be finished, and must have heat.  A window would be nice and according to Appraisal standards must be above grade.  Below grade, like basements, don't add to square footage, but can add value if finished. 

Originally posted by @David Krulac :

@Priscilla Z.

You don't need cooling!  If you did every house without central air would have zero square feet.

The space has to be finished, and must have heat.  A window would be nice and according to Appraisal standards must be above grade.  Below grade, like basements, don't add to square footage, but can add value if finished. 

I thought that below grade could be added to the square footage as long as there's a walk out door (which is the dumbest rule in the world IMO).

@David Beard undefined

@Stuart Birdsong

I did an extensive remodeling, where we replaced the siding, windows, furnaces, and added 4 new rooms in unfinished attic space.  It was a large attic!.  We did not need a building permit, and were located 2 doors from city hall, so I insisted that the contractor check before starting work.  No permit was required because we did not change the footprint of the house.   You could finish an unfinished porch into finished space in that municipality also without a building permit.

Also there are still some municipalities around here that do not have zoning.  And one place here doesn't require a building permit if you're building less than 900 square feet.

So while many places do require building permits, some places still in 2015 do not require building permits in certain situations, and the finished space is still counted as square footage.

@Priscilla Z.

I've been to FL many times. was just there for 2 weeks this year.  But I've been to places in FL that don't have either heat or AC.  If I had a place in FL, I'd have AC just like you.

"You don't need AC, there's always a breeze."  or so I was told.

@David Krulac - There is always a breeze if you are on the beach! Inland not so much.  I too have been to places in Florida, as well as other countries with no heat or AC.  I'll keep the AC...

And, if I don't put AC it would be much more difficult to sell to an end buyer here in Florida.... :)