• Broker, Investor, Property Restorer
  • Fox Point, WI
Votes |
Using Evernote or similar software for managing projects

Robert Taylor
  • Broker, Investor, Property Restorer
  • Fox Point, WI
Posted Feb 9 2016, 23:57

So, looking into personal time management software for myself, I kept seeing people all over the web talking about Evernote, as if I should just already know all about it, simply by seeing the word "Evernote"! Of course, I had to look into it, found out how widely it is used and how it has achieved a near cult-like status! I also saw the "works across ALL platforms" part (smartphone, tablet, laptop, desktop, pc, mac, iphone, android) and was sold, which was easy of course, since the basic download is free, downloaded it and have been hooked for the last few months. 

Fast forward to today and realizing the amazing amount of time I spend DAILY not only coordinating projects (which if you can't stand, this is not a career for you) but what is maddening in when I'm simply the conduit to pass very minor bits of info between contractors and as we all know, screwing up on some seemingly minor piece of that info that for instance may seem very minor to myself and lets say the carpenter and electrician, BUT causes a MAJOR hang up for the plumber (and assuming you're pulling permits as I do, toss in an additional delay for the inspector to be re-scheduled and now this formerly minor point has just hung up a big part of a project for days, maybe longer. 

After getting myself into a big backlog and mess where i had too much going on and that caused one very inefficient day after the next, I'm all about now remaking an efficient operation and I'm NOT dreaming of some "auto pilot" type deal, where I can work a couple of hours a day if that and magically have huge sue of money flow in regularly, I fully expect to continue working long hours, but want to eliminate being the relay service for these silly go betweens. 

I know there's various "house flipping" dedicated software out there, but I want to avoid it, as I don't know how long I'd be concentrated on this slice of the RE biz, I could be in a different part of RE in a few years, or in some unrelated biz and I like Evernote for that, but it requires going from the way I'm using it now, as a personal, one man organizer to getting more people involved in using it, but I also like it for the massive number of 3rd party tutorials, etc available to anyone needing to learn to use this software.

I'd greatly appreciate ANY thoughts or suggestions on how anyone else has used tech to streamline their operations, thanks!

Loading replies...