Dead Lawn in Denver

Dead Lawn in Denver

Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Kinda at a loss on what to do with this dead lawn. The weather has been great in Denver, but our weather can change in an instant. With that being said, I'm hesitant to put in a sprinkler system since I'd have to be careful about having water in the lines and it freezing. 

My wife keeps saying lay sod, but I guess I'd need a timed above ground sprinkler to keep it moist. We are mulching the majority of the back yard, and you can't see that area in the pictures. 

On top of it, the soil is almost pure sand, so with sod, I'd have to bring in some topsoil etc. Any tips, etc would be appreciated! These pics are a week old. The yard has been cleaned, and that tree is gone.

0Reply
99 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
10y

Is this a fix and flip or rental?  If either, do nothing.  I just sold a house in Montbello.  Yard was devastated by six+ years of tenants.  I thought it would be an issue.  It wasn't.  Our market is so hot this just won't matter if you're selling.

If you're renting it, some applicants will complain.  But if you put in grass, they will kill it as soon as they realize they're going to be spending $100 or more every month on water.  Maybe not that much if its in Denver proper, but easily that much if its a different city that buys water from Denver water.  If its Aurora with their very expensive water, it could be much more.

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2013 · 197 posts · 77 votes
    10y

    It works

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tony SanFilippo:

    @Roy N.

    LOL, I know what you mean, but it is very common in dry desert like states, when the city only lets you water so many days a week, or puts even longer water restrictions that force your lawn to go dormant.  There was even T.V. commercials  a few years back for companies to come paint your lawn in Denver, to keep it looking good during the drought.  Pet and kids safe :-).

    Perhaps the proper response is to landscape according to where you live?  If you live in a desert, why would you try to grow grass?   When I was up north (the *real* north, as in NWT) the environment is not condicive to grass and folks do not try to grow lawns

  • Real Estate Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2013 · 197 posts · 77 votes
    10y

    I agree if it were my own home, but when you are doing a fix and flip on a tight budget, you don't do landscaping if you can avoid it!  In my case the previous owner just couldn't afford the mortgage much less to water a small yard so it went dormant.  The new owner I hope will water like all the neighbors around them or xeriscape

    .

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Hi Matt,

    I don't know if you have decided what you want to do with your lawn, but I just saw something that might help you. The Denver Water site has help and instructions on how to design a yard taking into account watering restrictions, using native plants, and soil type. (http://www.denverwater.org/Conservation/Xeriscape/...  )

    They also have a demonstration garden where you can see what the plants look like and learn more about them  (shade or full sun, what type of soil, if they bloom and when, etc). They also have suggestions on how to help your soil as well as many other resources. I'd love to see what you  decide to do with your lawn. 

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Susan Pompea:

    Hi Matt,

    I don't know if you have decided what you want to do with your lawn, but I just saw something that might help you.

    Thanks for the link! We had 5 offers the first day, and I took a cash offer at full price. We closed about a month ago!

  • Investor · Claremont, CA · Member since 2014 · 150 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Congrats on getting that deal under contract so quickly @Matt M. Its a great feeling isn't it!

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Hi Matt,

    You should be giving me advice! I'm putting my house up for sale in the next couple of weeks. I'm selling it FSBO using a title company for closing. I get daily updates online about houses that are for sale or sold in my area. My yard looks great and we've just finished updating the kitchen, painted the whole house, pulled up the carpet to expose the hardwood floors and fixed anything else that needed to be done. The house is extremely clean and some rooms will be staged (no one will be living in it).

    I'm planning on having an open house for my neighborhood. Everyone is curious and wants to see what's been done as well as the price. I moved back to my home  to 7 years ago so I know most of the neighbors.  The next day I'm planning on a regular open house. I'm going to advertising on a number of online sites as well as a yard sign and flyers.

    I've heard of sellers receiving above the asking price offers in my market (Colorado Springs). I've researched my price but would love to receive a higher price. Any ideas on how to make that happen? Any suggestions about selling my house quickly and for a great price will be appreciate. 

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Susan Pompea:

    Hi Matt,

    You should be giving me advice! I'm putting my house up for sale in the next couple of weeks. I'm selling it FSBO using a title company for closing. I get daily updates online about houses that are for sale or sold in my area. My yard looks great and we've just finished updating the kitchen, painted the whole house, pulled up the carpet to expose the hardwood floors and fixed anything else that needed to be done. The house is extremely clean and some rooms will be staged (no one will be living in it).

    I'm planning on having an open house for my neighborhood. Everyone is curious and wants to see what's been done as well as the price. I moved back to my home  to 7 years ago so I know most of the neighbors.  The next day I'm planning on a regular open house. I'm going to advertising on a number of online sites as well as a yard sign and flyers.

    I've heard of sellers receiving above the asking price offers in my market (Colorado Springs). I've researched my price but would love to receive a higher price. Any ideas on how to make that happen? Any suggestions about selling my house quickly and for a great price will be appreciate. 

    Absolutely! There are tricks to creating strong demand and multiple offer situations in this market. As a FSBO, you just don't have the exposure to do so. PM coming.

  • Business Owner/Investor · Millersville, MD · Member since 2015 · 191 posts · 71 votes
    10y

    mulch and sod wont take you anywhere here. You need to bring microlife to the soil to have it hold more moisture and to deal with the current soil condition.

    Get red wrigglers, about 4 pounds, as well as about 20 gallons of worm tea.

    Prewater the entire yard to a damp, moist condition, and add the worms and then the worm tea after it starts drying, but while the soil is still damp.

    This will carry the microlife as well as the moisture deep into the soil and preaerate your soil.

    After this, THEN plant your sod. It will root deep, grow about 40% faster, and hold moisture for a lot longer, which will keep your grass alive.

    Just water it with a sprinkler or water hose about every two weeks after or so. Youll be fine.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Logan Hicks

    ... but at the end of the day, you've still planted a grass species in an aired, semi-desert environment to which it is unsuited and would never occur naturally.

    Ultimately, Mother Nature shall prevail ... 

  • Business Owner/Investor · Millersville, MD · Member since 2015 · 191 posts · 71 votes
    10y

    @roy 

    Actually no, not in this case. Mother nature quite often losses battles to mankind, especially landscaping. The key to life is water.

    Once you add microlife to the soil, it becomes trapped in a water cycle, as well as a small water reservoir is built by the aeration. This causes a constant water cycle on the molecular level to occur in your soil, allowing the microlife to breed amd spread.

    After your grass begins to grow naturally, youre set. As the wrigglers are processing your soil, it will slowly convert as sand is actually an extremely vast array of different soil types and mineral compositions, and as it is processed in the digestive tract of the worms, the soil will be broken down by the bacteria on the molecular level, amd then excreted, leaving more microlife behind. 

    Also, keep in mind denver wouldnt have half the problems if the colorado river wasnt impacted so much by overuse. Im sure their state will be restricting what LA can do with their water resource soon enough.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Logan Hicks

    I hear you, but you will still be on the hook to maintain your displaced environment - if mankind ceases to interfere, Mother Nature will return ;-)

  • Investor · Monument, CO · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Originally posted by @Logan Hicks:

    Also, keep in mind denver wouldnt have half the problems if the colorado river wasnt impacted so much by overuse. Im sure their state will be restricting what LA can do with their water resource soon enough.

     Logan - You seem to know a lot about grass but nothing about colorado rivers and water tables. I don't mean to be brash here but, The Colorado River is on the Western Slope of the Rockies and its tributaries are nowhere near Denver.  Besides, Colorado's water table is at 105% (over all throughout the state).  Denver is not on water restrictions.  That said, the weather may change here in Colorado (Global Warming) and we may have a high fire danger season this summer.  But buying the right grass for Colorado is important.  A good Kentucky Blue Grass mixed with a Fescue has worked for the properties I've re-sodded.

    Just sayin'.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.