Investor - buy and hold. · Cedar Park, TEXAS (TX) · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 7 votes
Hi wanted to ask if there is any preference for major rehab - which one is better Lowes or Home depot. Spending about $10k for small rehab. Or, is there any other place where we can get cost effective materials.
Investor · Beverly, WV · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 10 votes
9y
Lowes will give you a QSP (Quote Support Program). If your list of materials is over $2500, your contractor specialist will send the list to corporate for a discount. Be advised, the savings will be more if your list includes in stock items. Usually saves me 15-25% off the in store prices.
Investor · RI · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 7 votes
9y
I have always thought HD was cheaper for most things but Lowes has a bigger selection. However I always check both places before deciding where to purchase a product.
Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 736 posts · 582 votes
9y
I mostly use Home Depot because I feel they are less expensive. Lowe's has some items that Home Depot does not have that can be useful. Don't rule out your local Ace Hardware - they are going to be more expensive than both Lowe's and Home Depot but they will have some unique items you won't be able to find at the other two...then there's the online vendors....
Flipper · Kelso, WA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 8 votes
9y
I use Home Depot for 90% of my items. I do use Lowe's for my lighting fixtures and some plumbing fixtures because the selection at my local store is much better then Home Depot's.
Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
9y
I have found that HD tends to have better selection and prices on building supply items, while Lowe's tends to have better selection and prices on things that are more "decorative" like light fixtures, flooring, etc.
As others have said, shop around and compare the two, and don't count out other stores including local ones. I was doing a big rehab earlier this year and had checked prices from both Lowe's and HD, and on a whim called a local guy with a new business. He beat them both, hands down, and the customer service he gave me was outstanding.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
It's all about location for most purchases. Also Home Depot has more extensive and smaller stores, if you have a small store Lowes can be a more useful trip. don't forget your local stores Lowes and HD are not always the best choice and one day they may be your only choice.
Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
As Paul said, both will price match the other. We tend to use Lowes more because there is 1 Home Depot close to our rentals but 2 Lowes stores closer. I also tend to use Lowes coupons more; sometimes Home Depot will not accept these.
Investor · Monroe, WI · Member since 2015 · 691 posts · 610 votes
9y
There are certain products I purchase at HD only like my toilets. I use Lowes for my countertops and I use Menards for my interior/exterior doors, smoke/CO alarms. It's all about price and selection. I also like using Home Depot for many things because I can go on eBay and buy 15% off coupons and use those. The savings really add up.
Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
9y
Home Depot is my go to for my needs. However, I believe it has a lot to do with I only have a HD to chose from if I want something at Lowe's I have to drive an hour to go get it. However, like some other's have mentioned already Lowe's does have somethings (for instances, a better tile selection in my case) that HD doesn't have or not as good as selection. It all really depends on your preference I guess. Thanks for allowing me to share. Here is to wishing you success in your 2017 REI ventures!
Rental Property Investor · Warrenton, VA · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 58 votes
9y
Very similar, but I always found Lowes return policies to be better. They only ask if there's anything wrong with it and you have your money back in 2 minutes.
A lot of people related them as follows although I don't think its necessarily true.
Investor · Beverly, WV · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 10 votes
9y
Lowes will give you a QSP (Quote Support Program). If your list of materials is over $2500, your contractor specialist will send the list to corporate for a discount. Be advised, the savings will be more if your list includes in stock items. Usually saves me 15-25% off the in store prices.
I second @Carrie Utt 's advice on Lowes QSP. Huge savings to be had there. The threshold for which you qualify for QSP review varies. Looks like she needs to be at a $2500 minimum order. Until recently I was at a $1500 minimum and that was just recently reduced to $1000 minimum. Either way, go introduce yourself at the Pro Desk and see what they can do for you.
And beware, not all Pro Desk employees are created equally. Find the one who can actually make decisions. Sometimes that means catching the regional commercial rep in the store on one of his/her periodic visits. The regional rep often works magic for me that in-store employees can't seem to pull off.
I'm not sure if HD has a similar program - they probably do.
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y
Home Depot is closer, so I shop there more. However, Lowes has a much better PVC selection. If you have a Menard's near you, they have the best lighting options. Their plumbing fixtures are complete crap, though.
Home Depot is normally cheaper, but we tend to go to Lowes more b/c it's closer. Do you have a Harbor Freight near you? That place is like a Big Lots for tools! Floor and Decor is the absolute best for price/selection too IMO!
Also, if you know upfront how much you are going to spend there, check out Cardpool.com, and you can buy the amounts in a gift card at a small percentage off. Could definitely be worth the hassle for a $10K purchase!
Investor · Mount Dora, FL · Member since 2015 · 92 posts · 44 votes
9y
as others have said, neither is definitely better.
We use Home Depot because, with a $1500 order, we can use the Pro desk and get significant discounts, but this very much depends on the pro desk person you are dealing with. We have one who is awesome and gives us discounts that are great (they have discretion to do some overrides).
5% off everything with the credit card. No minimum.
I used to find customer service better at Lowes too, but in my experience (and for our area stores), this has clearly shifted back in favor of HD over the past 5 years or so. Now, Lowes stores seem understaffed with employees trying to hang out "in the back" and away from customers, if they can help it. Also, I find many of their shelves a total mess. Items not in the right place, out of stock, etc. etc. I'm moving back to HD more and more, after 20 years as a loyal Lowes customer.
Lowell, MA · Member since 2014 · 260 posts · 99 votes
9y
In my area I have both Lowe's and Home Depot within 1 mile of me. It seems like Lowes is more geared toward the homeowner and Home Depot caters more to contractors and has a much wider selection.
Investor · Burbank, IL · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 21 votes
9y
Does anyone use Menards?
In the Chicago-land area they are very popular and they do have competitive prices. Also they offer 11% off from time to time and a PVC pipe is a PVC pipe no matter where you bet it from.
Wakefield, RI · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 11 votes
9y
Quick tip if you use HD. Open a HD Pro account for free (you don't need to have a HD credit card). This allows you to track receipts to a 'job name' that you provide to the clerk upon checkout and your receipts are emailed to your account on file. I find this handy for managing expenses for each property.
Investor · Savannah, GA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 14 votes
9y
Lowe's
hands down
typically cheaper if these are your two choices
Home Depot gets zero business from me due to their management and lack of care or concern for customers and contractors......do not give a dime to Home Depot.....they almost cost me my business at one point, by assisting in the theft of materials from my account from a former customer who lied, not one call nor one contact to me concerning the $5000 in materials that was not paid for by the individual......