Patrick Olownia
  • Lakeville, MN
Votes |
Offering a lending hand!

Patrick Olownia
  • Lakeville, MN
Posted Apr 23 2018, 17:23

Hey everyone!

So, I had an idea and I need help to find out if it's realistic or not. I am currently reading Brandon Turner's "The Book On Rental Property Investing" and have just recently dove into the chapters about finding "fixer uppers" in order to purchase a better deal and in my case, Househack/Buy & Hold. He states numerous times about how he saved money fixing something himself rather than going to a contractor to have it done (Duh it's cheaper dummy!) BUT, my issue is that I am a nurse and not a handy man. I have ZERO experience fixing anything other than layering on some paint and I can't even guarantee that it'll be a job well done.

With this also being said, I would like to have the ability to walk into a property and analyze it's potential repair costs. Brandon emphasizes the importance of "knowing your numbers" and these are numbers I'm dying to know about. Essentially, I'm wondering if I can post an ad on craigslist or even reach out to BiggerPockets members to see if I would be able to tag along for a summer and "help out" for free (I live in Minnesota). Money is not my goal here, it's the knowledge I can obtain from those who have experience in this particular field.

Just flat out, are there too many liability issues to having me tag along and help out that would prevent me from being able to obtain this goal? Would I simply be "useless" without any background in house fixing? I have reached out to one friend who works with his Dad in fixing houses and projects and he said he would discuss with his dad and see what they could do.

Thank you to everyone who reads this post!

-Patrick Olownia

Loading replies...