Architect vs Designer vs Draftsman (NYC)

4 Replies

Hello

Looking at a multi family that will be converted from a 2 unit to a 3 and in need of a full gut rehab in the Brooklyn, New York area. 

I’ll have general contractors bid for the project. In your experience should I hire an architect, designer or a draftsman. From what I understand only an architect can obtain an engineer stamp and it would be needed for such a project?

Any input or recommendations are appreciated, thanks. 

Originally posted by @Veronica Taylor :

Hello

Looking at a multi family that will be converted from a 2 unit to a 3 and in need of a full gut rehab in the Brooklyn, New York area. 

I’ll have general contractors bid for the project. In your experience should I hire an architect, designer or a draftsman. From what I understand only an architect can obtain an engineer stamp and it would be needed for such a project?

Any input or recommendations are appreciated, thanks. 

Hello Veronica,

In my experience, my Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island clients conduct and engineer inspection after getting their offer accepted for a property. 

During or after the inspection, they have general contractors come to the property to give rehab estimates. Most GCs work closely with architects so obtaining proper paperwork for these projects is not an issue. 

The architect does not necessarily need to be present at the time of the inspection/estimate.

Best of luck to you on this project and all others!

Abel

@Veronica Taylor ,

In NYC you will need to hire a Registered Architect or Professional Engineer to design and file drawings for approval with the Department of Buildings. A draftsman or designer is not permitted by law to perform these services.

Feel free to reach out if you would like to discuss your project in more detail.

Best Regards,

Alex Furini, RA

An Architect is licensed and can design the entire structure to permit ready.

In some states not all aA designer can draw the structure but cannot stamp or certify the drawings as structurally sound and will not be able to provide permit ready drawings without and architect or engineers seal.

A draftsmen typically does the detailed construction drawings and floor plans only and not the entire project.

@Veronica Taylor , @Alex Furini & @Greg Dickerson pretty much summed it up. 

There is a very big difference in experience and abilities of a designer/draftman versus a Licensed & Registered Architect. 

FYI- Architects have their on seal/stamp. It is similar to Engineers but appropriately embellished for Architecture. Seals/Stamps are state specific.  

Jared W. Smith, RA