Advantages of using a Project Manager for oversight with your GC

2 Replies

I have a slew of investors who have constantly inquired about using a Project Manager to make sure the communication and timeline with the GC is flawless (or as close as possible). I was curious if anyone has advice on how you would vet a project manager and if you find it beneficial? Thanks!

Originally posted by @Thayer Hood :

I have a slew of investors who have constantly inquired about using a Project Manager to make sure the communication and timeline with the GC is flawless (or as close as possible). I was curious if anyone has advice on how you would vet a project manager and if you find it beneficial? Thanks!

You really don’t need a PM if you’re  using a qualified turn key GC along with solid contracts, specs and systems. The PM is typically an employee of the GC or investor that self performs. 

Are you working on one project or multiple? If one, you should be the project manager, you likely don’t have the room to pay for a GC AND a PM. Project managers for flips or new construction should not only deal with the GC and the subs making sure they work in a timely fashion, show up, and do quality control, they should also be running errands and even have knowledge and experience in selecting finishes to maximize your profit margin, i.e. picking the $200 light fixture that gives the appearance of a $500 fixture, etc.

They should also assist and coordinate with permits, the architect (if additions and/or new construction), the utility companies, the stager, the clean up crew, etc.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here