How to make a low offer with out insulting seller?

How to make a low offer with out insulting seller?

Valhalla, NY · Member since 2013 · 132 posts · 84 votes

Hello everyone,

So I am currently looking at a house that is a 2 family listed around $600k. I have ran comps and my investing metrics and the property seems like a decent investment if I can get it around 520k I’m considering offering about 480k and seeing if they counter. The other day my real estate agent was on the phone with the listing agent and I heard him say the sellers probably wouldn’t entertain any offer with out a 5 in it meaning $500k and up. He also stated the only offers they were receiving had been in the low $400k range.

Any experienced negotiation tips will be appreciated!

Thank you all!

0Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Abel CurielBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

Hey @Nicholas Mann

Submit your offer along with:

-comps

-pre-approval letter

-proof of funds

-proposed date of inspection (if applicable)

-attorney info (to show you're ready for the contract phase)

Offer price doesn't always dictate a strong offer, its showing them that you are serious and ready to move forward.

That being said, if you know this could sell for 520K and that # makes sense to you, I wouldn't go too far below that # in hopes of getting a counteroffer.

Best of luck to you moving forward!

Abel

REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I don't think you should be worried about offending.  This is a financial transaction.  You define what it is worth to you and offer.  

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Hey @Nicholas Mann

    Submit your offer along with:

    -comps

    -pre-approval letter

    -proof of funds

    -proposed date of inspection (if applicable)

    -attorney info (to show you're ready for the contract phase)

    Offer price doesn't always dictate a strong offer, its showing them that you are serious and ready to move forward.

    That being said, if you know this could sell for 520K and that # makes sense to you, I wouldn't go too far below that # in hopes of getting a counteroffer.

    Best of luck to you moving forward!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I also agree with @Abel Curiel.  If it works at $520k then offer around that number and don't budge.  Nothing says you have to let them talk you up.

  • David MartinPro Member
    Cypress, TX · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 119 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Mann pretty much @Abel Curiel has it covered here... your other option here is to throw two realities at them... one in which they get a comfy number, but on terms you like, so maybe $580k, but they do a seller carryback for a monthly rate of significantly less than your current financing options are giving you so that you cashflow heavy immediately, or $480k on traditional finance.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Well I wouldn't worry about it. If they have gotten offers in the low 400's they aren't going to be insulted at 480K. 

    It depends what they mean by won't entertain. If you think that means they won't accept it, that doesn't matter. If you think it means they won't even counter, then offer 500 and go from there.

    It is not complicated and rarely will you be able to undo any hard feelings so just go with your plan. If they ignore. Come back with another offer or walk away.

    Don't let them dictate your strategy. Work your plan. If they accept, fine. If not, on to the next.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Be respectful and don't be pushy. Offering some justification for your low offer (i.e. necessary repairs, comps, etc.) before you make it can help soften the blow as well as if you note up front that you are an investor and what you offer are quick, easy closings for cash (or something like that), not price. That way they don't expect a high offer. Yes, they'll still be disappointed many times. Occasionally they may even be angry. But as long as you respect their response and don't get pushy or defensive, they should cool down very quickly. 

  • Valhalla, NY · Member since 2013 · 132 posts · 84 votes
    6y

    thanks everyone for the great input!! I will try an offer right around 500k and go from there. Thanks again everyone !!

  • Investor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2010 · 165 posts · 75 votes
    6y

    How worried will you be if you dont make the offer and find out it sells for less than you wanted to offer?  Just make the offer.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    Abel is right.  Plus any number below the list price is going to offend them, especially something in the 400K when it is listed at 600K.  Be polite, stick to the facts and if the comps you pulled support your numbers, they will need to counter with comps that support their numbers.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    A couple thoughts- for one, don't worry about "offending" anyone- it's a financial transaction, it is what it is. 

    Secondly- does your market and the property support an offer like that. You say you have comps, but I have jokers sending me their comps all of the time, trying to prove that a property I am selling is worth less than the asking price. My market is crazy hot and sellers can basically get what they want- DOM over 15 days is really rare, and even then, sellers can wait, and in many cases, get their asking price. 

    The thing I'd be thinking more about, rather than offending someone, is if you are wasting your time and energy here on an offer that has zero chances of being accepted. If this is a learning opportunity for you, that's great. I'd be asking the seller or the sellers agent lots of questions about flexibility on price and interest before I went to the trouble of putting together an offer. If I don't think there's a chance, I move on to the next deal, and there's always another deal. 

    Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 241 posts · 135 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Mann

    I’m curious, how did you come up with the 480k ?

  • Adam TafelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 580 posts · 396 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Mann - sounds like you've put some good thought into your offer. Clients will often get in the mindset of "finding a deal", where they need to offer under list-price. If you have reason (comps, numbers, rehab costs) behind your offer, and present it as such, worst they can say is "no thanks". Focus on your numbers, offer based on value, all the rest is just noise. Good luck! 

    Upside Property Sales 4.9108 Reviews
  • Daniel SmythPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2019 · 471 posts · 342 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Mann

    I am going to do this same thing on Sunday.

    The investor/realtor bought this property at an auction. This will be my first buy and hold, if I win.

    My numbers are much lower that the figure I got from the owner at our first meeting.

    However, I intend on doing this for a profit, so my numbers must work or I look for another.

    He will not be as insulted as I am reluctant to offer low. You never know, he might do something crazy like say yes!

    Every property has a number. Shoot, reload, and shoot again.

    It's all good!

  • Joseph CacciapagliaBusiness Member
    Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    The idea of offending the seller is very overblown in this industry. This is something that agents like to say to avoid having to spend time with lower offers. I routinely make low offers for clients on investment properties, and it's very rare that anyone gets offended. At the very least, it's rare that I hear about it. If you have a tactful agent and the listing agent presents your offer well, this shouldn't be something to worry about.

    Joseph Cacciapaglia powered by Morty
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 769 votes
    6y

    Always remember that anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y

    I see the thought process here. You figure offer $480 and they will counter at $540 and then you counter at $520 and the deal is done. In a normal negotiation it is common for splitting the difference back and fourth. 

    The risk here is you are below the $500K "psychological barrier". There is a barrier at the $100K marks, $50K marks and $10K marks. If you are in the $400's, they may just quickly dismiss the offer. If you are in the $500's and all the offers before were in the $400's, then they will psychologically see it as a much improved offer. As strange as it sounds, $499K versus $500K is a huge mental barrier, although it is only $1000.

    I would offer $511,223 for the property. I know it sounds like a strange number to offer. Who would go to the effort of offering such a specific number, other than someone who had a specific reason. When you throw out offers that are round numbers, they appear to be low ball stabs. When you get specific, it makes the offer appear much more legitimate. Tell your realtor that you have a detailed break down of comparisons, repairs, etc. and this is your number you can afford. Don't even tell your realtor why you proposed such a strange number. You want your realtor to be convincing when they sell it. If you have to go higher for a counter offer, tell your realtor you padded in $5000 on your offer. Tell him you want the house, but that is all you can do.

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Pretend you are the agent for the seller. Your seller wanted to list at $600,000. Lets say you really thought it was worth $500,000 but they refused to even think below a starting listing of $600,000. OK an offer of $480,000 comes in after a few months. Do you

    1) Suggest client take the $480,000 offer and a $120,000 loss in their eyes

    2) Suggest they lower the price to $570,000 to see if we can get some renewed interest at a $30,000 price drop. 

    if you are the seller which option above do you like better? I have no problem offering lower (or people offering lower on my listings), in fact it often helps to make my case to a client we need to lower the price as we are out of what the market wants to pay. Expecting them to actually take the price is a different story though. If a bunch of low 400's came in hopefully yours is the one that brings them down. Having any expectation that they will jump on a 25% price reduction over a price drop is something I have not seen. Am I saying you can't get them much lower? No, they just usually are not listed properties in my experience. They have to be off market gems.

    Just my 2 cents

  • Stephen KeigheryBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 716 posts · 555 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Mann Never split the difference is an excellent book on negotiations.

    Home Buyer Louisiana4.855 Reviews
  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    You have to be disciplined with the offers that make sense for you. However, when negotiating you should try and build rapport with the seller and be strategic with how you go about it. I believe negotiation is one of the most important skills in all of the business. 

  • Valhalla, NY · Member since 2013 · 132 posts · 84 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Mann

    Well to anyone who answered this post. I finally made an offer of $482k on a listed property of $565k that’s been sitting on market for 6 months now. All comps in area are similar to $500k range. Sellers countered at $550k. I guess they weren’t insulted but we both clearly have different visions of the market and what going rents and property values are for the area. I will leave my offer where it is and see if they come down lower anytime soon.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.