Repair shed or remove shed on a long term rental

6 Replies

Looking for advice on a shed i have on a long term rental. 

it needs approx. $3,500 worth of work to make half decent. Roof, siding, electrical

im holding the property for decades most likely and think ill need to repair it again in the future while i hold it. 

It seems like even if i keep the shed they dont really add value to properties anyway. This is a large 10x18 shed at least. Picture included

Do i keep it and repair it or tear it out? Not really wanting to leave it as is because it is an eyesore.

Have you done renovations before?

why does it need a new roof?

Why does it need new siding?

Am I missing something?
how much is does the house rent for?

If we are talking $4,000 a month ok I understand needing a really nice shed 

How are you coming to the conclusion it needs all those things new and $3500 to get it in better shape for a rental?

We had the same issue and just tore our shed down.  Did not add any value or rental income to the property and was an eyesore.  From a cash perspective, it was cheaper to tear it down than repair it.  

Is there another place for the lawn mower, kid's bikes, etc?  If not, they will be in the house.  In that case I would repair the shed.  But I would maybe paint it, fix the door, put a metal roof over the current roof (one and done).  It does not have to be a spectacular shed, just functional.

There is a large garage yes. I have renovated 6 properties before but never dealt with a shed. 

I dont really like owning crap shack houses so just leaving it in its existing condition as a rodent infested and bee house is unappealing to me and the tenants i have ready to move in are friends of friends. My belief is if im going to keep it i should repair it so it doesnt fall down and if i dont intend to repair it then i should tear it down and get rid of it. 

I have heard opinions about just leaving it as is and i get for some landlords thats fine but not really how i like to operate.

It is hard to see from photo but the siding is so bad that almost all around the siding is rotted up 2 feet and open access currently into the shed for rodents and bugs etc. Also roof is leaking in 4 spots due to the style of roof half the plywood on roof is rotted.

I welcome more opinions though. I think im leaning toward tearing the thing down.

Sorry replied a bit in other post but. 6 properties renovated mostly myself but this one im using more contractors, roof leaking in 4 spots and 3 or 4 sheets of decking are rotten and black. House rents for 2k. 

1000 quoted for replacing shed shingles and decking

2500 for siding and trim

comfortable replacing siding and trim less so with roofing but i probably could. Just doesnt seem worth it to me but feel bad tearing out a shed. 

shed has open access to rodents and larger animals even (2 foot up of rot around entire siding), if i dont repair it its probably about 5 years away from collapsing with texas storms as they are. 

the house is in the middle of being fully renovated so now is the time to get this thing dealt with one way or another. 

i mean im leaning toward tearing out just wanted to hear if anyone thinks these are worth salvaging or if scrapping it is 100% the way to go. The repair man in me hates to remove things but the investor side is telling me its probably the right move. 

there is a 2 car garage with the property. 

Originally posted by @Michael Plante :

Have you done renovations before?

why does it need a new roof?

Why does it need new siding?

Am I missing something?
how much is does the house rent for?

If we are talking $4,000 a month ok I understand needing a really nice shed 

How are you coming to the conclusion it needs all those things new and $3500 to get it in better shape for a rental?