15,000 Posts and counting

17 Replies

This is my 15,000 post on BP Nation! I thought it would be appropriate to post in the rehabbing thread as that has been my main specialty for all these years, although I have utilized many other investment strategies and will continue to do so.

So with that, if you have any specific questions on rehabbing, sourcing deals, numbers on deals, how to get over a hump, or whatever rehabbing question, do ask, hopefully I can answer it for you here.

Happy investing to all!

Originally posted by @Caleb Brown :

Woop! Just curious how long have you been posting on BP?

Will is an OG. He's been here since: 
Member since March 7, 2008

He was on these forums back when the site was called "Slightly larger than average-sized pockets". When he was on the podcasts they were using tin cans and a length of string between them.. He became a moderator by default because the only other member was Josh Dorkin... 😂

Congrats for longevity Will!

Promotion
Sundae
Property Marketplace
Find Professionally Vetted Properties from Motivated Sellers
Eliminate the need to hunt for houses again. We bring your next investment opportunity to you.
Originally posted by @JD Martin :
Originally posted by @Caleb Brown:

Woop! Just curious how long have you been posting on BP?

Will is an OG. He's been here since: 
Member since March 7, 2008

He was on these forums back when the site was called "Slightly larger than average-sized pockets". When he was on the podcasts they were using tin cans and a length of string between them.. He became a moderator by default because the only other member was Josh Dorkin... 😂

Congrats for longevity Will!

Thanks JD.

True that! The site went down after Josh tripped over our connection string. That was the IT department back then! Back then, it was @Joshua Dorkin , me, and @Jon Holdman , the first ever Moderator. Then came @J Scott shortly after, the king of the airwaves on the podcast and the author of the best education books on BP regarding flipping.

I’ve noticed you’re a frequent poster! Congratulations. I don’t have any specific questions… yet. We will be looking at a single family this week. If all goes well, it will be our first flip. We are SUPER excited! It’s also a little bit scary. There is so so so much information! We don’t know nearly enough yet, but we have been on BP long enough to know that most of the learning comes by doing, so we’re ready to get to it. Many of your posts have been helpful to us, so thank you! 

@Will Barnard congratulations! It is great you have kept posting over the years. Most of the original members have moved along in one way or another. 

It looks like you are currently number ten all time post count in the forums and you are about 270 posts behind @Ned Carey ... You guys are only 20,000 behind @Jay Hinrichs haha.

Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock :

@Will Barnard congratulations! It is great you have kept posting over the years. Most of the original members have moved along in one way or another. 

It looks like you are currently number ten all time post count in the forums and you are about 270 posts behind @Ned Carey ... You guys are only 20,000 behind @Jay Hinrichs haha.

Ya I saw Bill Gully pop on for a few weeks then have not seen anything from him at all.  My usage is down and while I wont fad away .. kind of funny but i just found U tube about 14 months ago.. so I spend a lot of time there these days that would have been on BP..  not that i interact on U tube but I like the videos on fishing and flying and cooking and well how do you fix this or that on your wolf stove LOL. 

Congrats and thank you, Will.

Good to see your milestone celebrated and great to see you still here and sharing! 

Congrats @Will Barnard ! 15k post is quite the accomplishment! I actually do have a question for you or anyone else who wants to chime in. 

The question is, In our current market, most of the analyst and market research companies I've come across are forecasting a "dip" or "crash", in the housing market sometime next year in the springtime. Assuming there is some sort of dip in the market how would you go about adjusting your fix and flip business? 

Do you scale back? Scale up and get aggressive assuming the market purges smaller investors out and deals can be found?

I've read a few post on these forums in which fix and flip investors say they flip through the dips and many actually look forward to the "dips" and "crashes" as they tend to purge the smaller investors out.

Originally posted by @Bola Williams :

Congrats @Will Barnard! 15k post is quite the accomplishment! I actually do have a question for you or anyone else who wants to chime in. 

The question is, In our current market, most of the analyst and market research companies I've come across are forecasting a "dip" or "crash", in the housing market sometime next year in the springtime. Assuming there is some sort of dip in the market how would you go about adjusting your fix and flip business? 

Do you scale back? Scale up and get aggressive assuming the market purges smaller investors out and deals can be found?

I've read a few post on these forums in which fix and flip investors say they flip through the dips and many actually look forward to the "dips" and "crashes" as they tend to purge the smaller investors out.

Great question. On a parallel note, I just read in the NY times recently an article stating/showing that each year from 2011-2020, someone in the media posted some headline regarding a pending crash or correction. Odds are, if you say a correction/crash is coming each year, eventually you will be correct (like any broken clock). So with that in mind, if I were you, I would pay attention to what they say is the supposed cause of the correction/crash. As of now, there is no data that I can see that shows a pending crash. I can say that it seams like we are at the top of the market, but it has been that way for the last 3 years now too. For a crash to happen, a major occurrence needs to happen, i.e. interest rates need to climb dramatically (which is not likely since the Fed would be shooting themselves in the foot with that), a major supply/demand shift would need to be pending, or a huge financial crisis. I guess that is possible if the temporary debt ceiling is not raised again in Dec (but also unlikely since 100% of the time in the past, the feds have raised it as opposed to defaulting).

If there was any major downward pressure on RE pricing, I would halt fix and flips until the dust settled. In a fix and flip scenario, time is your enemy and if pricing is going downward, it is even more of an enemy. Recently (last few years) time has not been an enemy as RE pricing has been appreciating higher than the cost to hold, producing net gains for holding longer. That can not last forever of course and all good things must come to an end.

Not sure if I answered your question, but that is the best I can do with my college drop out mind. - Great question. 

Originally posted by @Jean-Felix Beauchamp :

Hello Will,

Grats on your 15 000 posts on Bp !

I was wondering if you knew how to take care of thirdhand-smokes? 

How much $ are we talking about to remove all the stains of a certain property?

Thank you !

From $20-$20,000 I guess. Your question is so vague, nobody can answer this. "A certain property" can be 500sf or 5,000 sf and some could have damage or not. Typically, removing smells from drywall/sheetrock requires either complete removal and replacement or the use of stain blocker primer paints or other chemicals.

Promotion
Avail
Landlording made easy.
Best-in-Class Platform for DIY Landlords
List unlimited units, screen tenants, draft and sign leases, and collect rent—all free.
Use Avail—Free!

@Will Barnard Congrats. When I see your name I usually click to see what you have to say...or is it dictate, because that would have been a lot of typing. You guys really created something! Thanks for the info and entertainment.

Originally posted by @Will Barnard :

This is my 15,000 post on BP Nation! I thought it would be appropriate to post in the rehabbing thread as that has been my main specialty for all these years, although I have utilize many other investment strategies and will continue to do so.

So with that, if you have any specific questions on rehabbing, sourcing deals, numbers on deals, how to get over a hump, or whatever rehabbing question, do ask, hopefully I can answer it for you here.

Happy investing to all!

Congratulations. Do you contribute any of your success or wealth to your 15,000 post and long-standing connections on BP?

Originally posted by @Marian Smith :

@Will Barnard Congrats. When I see your name I usually click to see what you have to say...or is it dictate, because that would have been a lot of typing. You guys really created something! Thanks for the info and entertainment.

Never dictated, though I wish. I suck at typing so you probably have seen many errors, but I have personally typed each of the 15k+ posts. Thanks for your comments and kind words.

Originally posted by @Joe S. :
Originally posted by @Will Barnard:

This is my 15,000 post on BP Nation! I thought it would be appropriate to post in the rehabbing thread as that has been my main specialty for all these years, although I have utilize many other investment strategies and will continue to do so.

Happy investing to all!

Congratulations. Do you contribute any of your success or wealth to your 15,000 post and long-standing connections on BP?

Disclaimer: I am NOT getting paid to say this and I receive no financial benefit from BP for my comments below. This is the truth and nothing but the truth.

I attribute a TON of my success in real estate investing to Biggerpockets and the membership here. That said, a lot of that credit has to go to myself (at risk of sounding conceded) as I personally had to show and deliver the drive and determination it takes to come this far. Many, many times in the beginning, I wanted to give up as the failures mounted and my traction did not seem to take shape. But every once in a while, I had a great day and I felt like I was on top of the world and that kept me coming back for more. 

I have made a lot of friends on BP that I continue to stay in touch with, many local to me and others all across the country. Some have been part of my private investor network I built over time, some became partners in deals, and many others taught me things to help me get to where I am. The sheer fact that I have spent this many years and made this many posts enabled me to grow with BP and as such, BP has been a HUGE part of my success in RE. But one must start somewhere, one must finally take real life action, and one must continue to fight the good fight (stay focused, don't give up, always strive to learn new things, always network, and keep pushing the limits of your goals).