Looking for a real estate agent in Boston

15 Replies

Hello Boston BP members!

I'm looking for recommendations for a real estate agent in Boston. I've tried searching on the web but it's hard to determine how helpful these agents would be for my situation (hence why I'm making this post). I'm hoping to find a duplex (or some other MF) property that could work for house-hacking. An agent with experience with this sort of situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Ken

This post has been removed.

Hi Ken! I own multis in Boston (JP and Roslindale) and renovate them with my partner, Kate; she happens to be an agent, which has really helped us in finding and evaluating properties, since she knows the markets well AND knows what we're looking for in investments. She grew up in construction, and works with inspectors, lenders, and attorneys who also own multis in the Boston area. Happy to connect you if you'd like to chat with her, or to answer any questions you have about our experience from my side if it would help! More on Kate at katebostonrealestate.com, too. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'll be reaching out to all of you if you have not already!

Hey @Ken T. , I know a great agent in Boston whom I've worked with before. His office is in the city and he is very engaged in the area. PM me and I will be happy to give you his information.

Adam

Ken:  Possibly we could help also, we are associated with lawyers, lenders, real estate agents who have multi family and condo inventory for resale, with financing, if you wish.  

If you're looking to at real estate via the MLS, I highly suggest getting your license, if you have the time you could easily know it out and be licensed in a week or two.

Personally this is the approach I took and it has been very helpful in CT where I invest. In Boston, it isn't as helpful because any house that goes on the market typically only does an open house and there is no need to set up a private showing. However, financially you're going to save a lot of money if you actually close deals form the MLS at 2-2.5% (less the brokers cut which can be as high as 50% or as low as 15% depending on who you use.)

Originally posted by @Mike Abramowitz :

If you're looking to at real estate via the MLS, I highly suggest getting your license, if you have the time you could easily know it out and be licensed in a week or two.

Personally this is the approach I took and it has been very helpful in CT where I invest. In Boston, it isn't as helpful because any house that goes on the market typically only does an open house and there is no need to set up a private showing. However, financially you're going to save a lot of money if you actually close deals form the MLS at 2-2.5% (less the brokers cut which can be as high as 50% or as low as 15% depending on who you use.)

Hey Mike, thanks for the recommendation and I'm glad it's working out well for you! I don't know how confident I would be in my abilities with a license and for now plan to rely on the expertise of more seasoned agents. I will certainly look more into obtaining a license in the future.

@Ken T.   my best advise in that case then is tread carefully. Its amazing how little some agents know about investing in a market that they've worked in for 5-10 years. 

I've never personally worked with anyone in the area to recommend, but @Charlie MacPherson seems to be very knowledgeable about the area  (from what I've seen on BP), you should connect with him to see if he covers the area you're looking to buy in. 

Originally posted by @Mike Abramowitz :

@Ken T.  my best advise in that case then is tread carefully. Its amazing how little some agents know about investing in a market that they've worked in for 5-10 years. 

I've never personally worked with anyone in the area to recommend, but @Charlie MacPherson seems to be very knowledgeable about the area  (from what I've seen on BP), you should connect with him to see if he covers the area you're looking to buy in. 

Hey Mike,

Again, thanks for the recommendation! I am already in communication with Charlie but am certainly vetting all the agents that have contacted me for their experience with other investors.

I’ve been helping people buy and sell real estate in Boston since 1999. I’ve worked with some of the top developers and investors at one time or another. I’m full of experience. Feel free to reach out...

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.