Nonwarrantable condo discount

8 Replies

Hi All -  curious what people would expect a discount to market value to be on a nonwarrantable condo in the Boston area?  Let's assume desirable neighborhood, close to public transportation, etc but no chance of ever qualifying for standard financing.  

Jonathan Howard, Real Estate Agent in Massachusetts (#9559973)

Commercial or someone owns over 10% of the association? Zipcode of property?

Originally posted by @Jonathan Howard :

@Charlie MacPherson   60% of the building is commercial

It will in part be based on how other condos in the area sell. If it is in a location that they are all selling for cash, then the fact that it is nonwarrantable is a moot point.

Russell Brazil, Real Estate Agent in Maryland (#648402), Virginia (#0225219736), District of Columbia (#SP98375353), and Massachusetts (#9​0​5​2​3​4​6)
(301) 893-4635

@Jonathan Howard I've been through that before.  There was a condo in Scituate harbor that had been on the market 856 days at another agency.

With 30% commercial, I knew it wouldn't go FHA/VA/Conventional, so I approached a community bank down the street and got them to proactively look at the property and agree to a portfolio loan.

I'd recommend that same approach.  Local banks and credit unions would be the way to go.

Charlie MacPherson, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9532146)
781-412-4151

Could always try to talk to some of the local community banks or credit unions to see who would keep the loan in house/portfolio loan and put together a list of banks to be given to potential buyers. Winter Hill bank could be a good option. I have a contact there if needed. I'm sure a potential buyer would have no issue being told which bank they have to use if given a few options and the situation is explained clearly.  

It's extra work/headache for a potential buyer down the road if they ever want to refinance or sell plus it could be a potentially higher interest rate and down payment requirements so this in turn should make the market price lower than typical condo prices but shouldn't be a deal killer as there are plenty of community banks to shop around. I'm thinking maybe roughly 5% lower (in a sellers market). Apples to apples if the same condo that is warrantable is selling for 500k I'm thinking this should be 470k - 475k. 

@Russell Brazil I'd say currently most of the condos in this neighborhood are going with conventional or FHA financing.

@Charlie MacPherson   definitely agree that small banks/credit unions are the way to go.  Have talked to a few and they are willing to lend on the property, the concern is that with such a high commercial %  that MI company won't insure.   Having to put down 20% knocks a large portion of Boston buyers out of the game.

@Nick Foundas   If you could DM me your contact that would be appreciated!

Jonathan Howard, Real Estate Agent in Massachusetts (#9559973)

Hi Jonathan, 

I just worked with a mortgage broker who specialized in non-warrantable condos. Happy to give you his contact information if you would like it. 

A good friend just purchased a non-warrantable condo in Charlestown that went $41k above asking. I think it definitely depends on the market. 

Good luck!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.